Great Northern Railway
(1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
(1905 - 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba, and St. John, North Dakota.
[[inline:right:kentner-gnr-museum]] Bill Kentner has researched the Great Northern rail line extensively out of personal interest. He has put together a small museum dedicated to the [Great Northern Railway](article=great-northern-railway) and model train train display at his farm northeast of [Boissevain](item=boissevain). He welcomes phone-ahead tours by donation: (204) 534-2395. # . . . . . [Museums Directory](http://vantagepoints.ca/pages/local-services-index/museums)
Other Features Nearby
(1908 – 1936) Alcester was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line.
(1738) La Verendrye was the first European to cross the plains and in 1738 he came across a collection of 101 Assiniboine tents along Cherry Creek.
(1905 – 1936) Bannerman served as the Canada Customs depot for travellers coming from North Dakota on the Great Northern Railway.
Look at life through the eyes of a prairie pioneer at the Beckoning Hills Museum.
(1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1885 – Present) Cherry Creek was the name of this town before the CPR came through and renamed it after a Dutch financier.
Breads, Cakes, Muffins, Cinnamon Buns, Cookies, Coffee and many other treats. Phone: 204-534-6130
Located next door to the swimming pool, ball diamonds and fair grounds. Phone: 1-204-534-2406 Email: email@example.com
Hwy 10, just north of Boissevain
“Romance by the Railroad Park,” South Railway St – Local farmers and craftspeople gather here every Friday from June 1st to September 30th. Lunch is served by a different community group every week. 11am - 1pm
Just south of Boissevain off Hwy 10. Phone: 204-534-2365
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
578 Mill Rd. Home to Hotstuff Pizza and a full convenience store. Phone: 204-534-7243
336 South Railway St, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2441
(1820s and 1830s) The Dakota and Assiniboine met in this region for a battle.
Good fast food and ice cream on the north edge of Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2226
(1888-1945) Caranton was previously known as Nimitaw. The Caranton School District bought the old Nimitaw School building and moved it. And moved again twice in it's lifetime.
Located in the Home Hotel, 488 South Railway, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-6272
An award-winning model railway collection. Located in Boissevain beside Tommy Turtle.
(1898 – 1961) The CNR was built as far as Argue in 1898. Argue was known as “Trackend” while the future course of the line was debated. Delegations from Deloraine, Waskada, Melita and Hartney lobbied for the route to go to their respective towns.
The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Hartney from Brandon in 1890.
(1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
(1908 – 1936) Desford was the name of a station along the Great Northern Railway.
(1908 – 1936) Fairburn was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line from St. John North Dakota to Brandon, Manitoba.
A small plot of land is set aside where the rail bed of the Great Northern Railway crosses the present-day No. 3 Highway. This was the location of the Fairburn train station.
(June 1st,1888- June,1967) School grounds are now a road side park.
300 South Railway St, Boissevain. Locally owned and operated. Phone: 204-534-6568
A collection of 300 full-mount animals from North America and New Zealand set in interactive, natural scenes.
(September 11, 1957-1962)
This protected prairie hilltop above the Boissevain reservoir is often covered with prairie flowers. It is a peaceful spot to observer the surrounding wildlife.
The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
The Moncur Gallery contains over 1000 artifacts, most of which local historian Mr. Bill Moncur picked up out of his field.
(1877 – 1886) The first town in the southwest. Bernard B. LaRiviere established a home and store which serviced the first settlers coming west along the Boundary Commission Trail.
Sanger was a station of the CPR. The “Blue Flea” Line headed north from here.
The Sawmill serves a simple lunch, coffeehouse beverages and treats. Used book store, handmade items, pool table. Open late. PHONE: 204-534-2232 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org VISIT: http://www.prairiepartners.ca/sawmill/default.html
Located in Minto, 15 minutes north of Boissevain. Local hang-out, lunch, dinner and coffee. Phone: 204-776-2224
(1882-1887) Depressions mark several of the 47 graves recorded at the site.
(1882-1887) This mission was founded by Father John Malo. Later the parish grew as Metis families moved in from the Red River Settlement. The mission was moved to St John's when the railway came through.
The Great Northern Railway connected St. John, North Dakota with Brandon, Manitoba.
Phone: 1-204-534-8004 Email: email@example.com
Early cultures used this place as a stopping place and ceremonial center. It was a convenient place to cross the Long River.
A newer, bigger building built in 2011. 513 Mill Rd, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2989
(1886 – 1960s) Old Wakopa moved to this location to be at the crux of two rail lines: the Canadian National and Great Northern.
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved to second and present location.
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved from previous location to 1/2 mile north to present location.
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.