Features Listed by Theme: Métis Activity
St. Claude Cemetery (1882-1887) Depressions mark several of the 47 graves recorded at the site.
Boundary Trail Visible - Sourisford (1873) The Boundary Commissioner Trail is still visible in this location. It is used by a local farmer to run cattle down to the Souris River.
Canada Creek The Forestry Reserve game wardens chose to turn their heads the other direction when it came to the fishing practices of the Metis living around Metigoshe Lake.
First Métis Homestead (1908) The first permanent Métis settler in the Turtle Mountain area was Louis McLeod who settled within a mile from the US-Canadian border. This was the beginning of the Metigoshe Métis Community.
Fort Mr. Grant (1824 – 1861) Cuthbert Grant established this fort on the Souris River on behalf of the HBC to keep illegal operations from diverting business away from the company.
Lauder Sandhills (10,000 BC - Present) The unique environment provided by the Lauder Sandhills attracted bison, which appealed to the early peoples who came to camp and live there.
Marsden School No. 2 (1938 – 1966) Métis kids from around Metigoshe Lake attended Marsden School No. 2. It became a hall and community centre for the Métis.
McCharles Cabin (1940s) This tiny cabin was the vibrant home for Roy and Maggie McCharles and their 10 children.
Métis Bison Hunt - Souris River (1840) Red River Métis hunted bison along the Souris River south of Melita
Métis Bison Hunt - Chain Lakes (1850) A bison hunt took place between Whitewater Lake and the Chain Lakes. It involved 1000 Red River Carts. Cutting up the carcasses after the hunt took eight days.
Métis Bison Hunter Stopping Places (After 1830) The Chain Lakes provided a convenient stopping place for Red River Métis Bison hunters moving between Turtle Mountain, Whitewater and the Lauder Sandhills.
Métis Bison Hunts - Lauder Sandhills (1837) A group of Métis bison hunters from St. Francois Xavier hunted bison in the Lauder Sandhills for several years.
Métis Cemetery (1920s – 1942) With the establishment of the Metigoshe Métis Community, a small cemetery appeared. The first body interred was an infant from the McLeod family. She was followed by seven others at most.
Métis Settlement (1860s) A Métis settlement was established on the north shore of Whitewater Lake. It lasted fifteen years before being abandoned.
Métis Trading Post (1840s) A Métis fur trading post operated here on the Souris River for a short time in the 1840s.
Moncur Gallery – People of the Plains The Moncur Gallery contains over 1000 artifacts, most of which local historian Mr. Bill Moncur picked up out of his field.
Old Wakopa (1877 – 1886) The first town in the southwest. Bernard B. LaRiviere established a home and store which serviced the first settlers coming west along the Boundary Commission Trail.
Picnic Area by Canada Creek (Post 1908) A plot of land nearby Canada Creek was used as a ball field and picnic area by the Metigoshe Métis Community.
Red River Cart (1801 – 1870s) A replica of a Red River Cart sits in the Deloraine Park. The Red River Cart was specifically designed to suit the fur trade. Its squeaky wheels carved deep trails into the prairie landscape of the 1800s.
Whitewater Lake Whitewater Lake was an important natural feature to yesterday's earliest peoples and provides a safe haven for today's birds and wildlife.
Sourisford A long history surrounds this Souris River crossing place. Where the Boundary Commission Trail crossed the river is still visible.
St Claude Mission (1882-1887) This mission was founded by Father John Malo. Later the parish grew as Metis families moved in from the Red River Settlement. The mission was moved to St John's when the railway came through.
Billy's Point (1930s) Billy Gosselin's home became a meeting place and dance hall for the Metigoshe Métis Community.
Louis McLeod Homestead (1908) Louis McLeod's log home was probably the first permanent Metis settlement on Turtle Mountain.
Irvin Goodon Wildlife Museum A collection of 300 full-mount animals from North America and New Zealand set in interactive, natural scenes.
Daggard's Store This store was technically in North Dakota, but it was closer for the Metigoshe Metis Community to buy staple groceries here than to go to Deloraine.
Boundary Commission Trail (Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
Ducharme Property (1920s-1960s) A pair of Métis brothers lived out their lives on this quarter section.
First Métis Homesteads (1908) Louis McLeod, Billy Gooselin and Elzear Racine came up from Belcourt and settled in the Turtle Mountain bush. These three quarter sections were the first homesteads that were the beginning of the Metigoshe Metis Community.