(1795) The X.Y. Company was made up of disgruntled North West Co. Workers. This post was managed by Mr. Peter Grant and operated in opposition to the nearby N.W. Co. Ash Fort.
Ash House was the first fur trading post built along the Souris River. This post only operated for a year and a half due to vulnerability of attack by the Dakota.
The Fur Trade on the Souris River flourished because of the proximity of grassland favoured by grazing bison. Pemmican made from these magestic beasts supported the rest of the fur trade.