Heritage Features

Items Listed by Access Terms: No Public Access

Sites

Ash House
(1795 – 1797) Ash House was likely the first fur trading post built on the Souris River.
Fort Mr. Grant
(1824 – 1861) Cuthbert Grant established this fort on the Souris River on behalf of the HBC to keep illegal operations from diverting business away from the company.
First Métis Homestead
(1908) The first permanent Métis settler in the Turtle Mountain area was Louis McLeod who settled within a mile from the US-Canadian border. This was the beginning of the Metigoshe Métis Community.
McCharles Cabin
(1940s) This tiny cabin was the vibrant home for Roy and Maggie McCharles and their 10 children.
Métis Cemetery
(1920s – 1942) With the establishment of the Metigoshe Métis Community, a small cemetery appeared. The first body interred was an infant from the McLeod family. She was followed by seven others at most.
Salter Mine
(1933 – 1938) The Salter mine operated as a rival to the neighbouring Henderson mine.
Skull Swamp
Skull Swamp is an example of the ingenuity possessed by post glacial societies in their bison hunting techniques and how they used the existing landscape to their advantage.
Medicine Wheel
A Medicine Wheel sits here on the edge of the Souris River Valley.
Tipi Ring
Several tipi rings on this site suggest a First Nations camp was once located here.
Yellow Quill Trail – still visible
The Yellow Quill trail is still visible in this location.
Bison Rubbing Stone - Chain Lakes
A bison rubbing stone north of the Chain Lakes
Prairie View Cemetery
(1901-1910) A small cemetery once existed on this site.
Feland Site
(~1370AD) A Northeastern Plains village is thought to have been located here.
DhMg-86
(800 AD) A small surface collection from the Besant-Sonota culture was recovered at this site.
Snyder Dam Site
(800 AD) A brief excavation at this site uncovered two of the most complete Sonota/Besant vessels recovered in Western Canada.
Yellow Quill Trail Continues
Yellowquill Trail continues west from this point. It meets up with the Carleton Trail at present-day Portage la Prairie.
Mullett Site
(1500 BCE – 750 AD) A bison kill and processing site on the bank of the Souris.
Dand Stone Features
A collection of puzzling stone features found at this site defy easy definition.
Snyder II Site
(1610 +/- 130) Excavations at this site lend considerable weight to the idea of pre-European horticultural activity in south-west Manitoba

Routes

Yellow Quill Trail
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.
CPR Lauder Branch
(1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
Great Northern Railway
(1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.

Areas

Turtle Mountain Reserve IR60
(1877 – 1913) Dakota Chief H'Damani convinced the government to grant him and his band a square mile of land on the slopes of Turtle Mountain – the smallest First Nation's Reserve in Canada.
First Métis Homesteads
(1908) Louis McLeod, Billy Gooselin and Elzear Racine came up from Belcourt and settled in the Turtle Mountain bush. These three quarter sections were the first homesteads that were the beginning of the Metigoshe Metis Community.