Heritage Features

Items Listed by Category: Schools

Sites

Coates School
(1901-1934)
Marsden School No. 1
(1908 – 1966) Marsden No. 1 was attended by children of European settlers living on the farmland to the north, whereas Marsden No. 2 was attended by Métis children living in the bush around Lake Metigoshe.
Marsden School No. 2
(1938 – 1966) Métis kids from around Metigoshe Lake attended Marsden School No. 2. It became a hall and community centre for the Métis.
Bidford School
(At least 1887-1964)
Strathallen School
(1892 – 1966) The grounds of Strathallen School are still in occasional use today as a community gathering place and baseball field.
Verona School
(1885 – 1958) Verona School served as a schoolhouse and early community centre.
Brock School
(July 1894-1967)
Cavell School
(1917-1957)
Barber School
(1886-1961)
Chain Lakes School
(1894-1917)
Grand Bend School
(1890-1946)
Grande Clairière School
(1889-1966)
Grand Pre School
(1893-1919)
Lauder School
(At least 1893-1973) Old school house became town hall. "New" building is still used as a post office and coffee shop; the "Lauder" Inn. (2011)
Maple Hill School
(1914-1964)
Melgund School
(At least 1885-1962)
Swaffam School
(1884-1934)
Webb School
(At least 1884- about 1892) Webb School became Hartney School.
West Hall School
(1889-1958)
Whitewater School
(1884-1961)
Arthur School
(At least 1887-1957)
Belfry School #1
(1891-1896) In 1896 it moved to second location.
Purple Hill School
(At least 1887-1959) The first Purple Hill school burned down on June 28th, 1897. A new school built on the same site.
Bede School
(1914-1965)
Brown School
(1891-1958) In 1950 the "Old" School moved to Melita and a "New" one was erected on the same site.
Hernefield School #1
(1885-1918) In 1918 Hernefield moved to present location.
Melita School
(1886-Present) The old building is still in Melita housing the Melita Museum.
Chesterfield School #1
(1887-1902)
Peninsula School
(1901-1960)
Chesterfield School #2
(1902-1959) In 1902 Chesterfield moved from previous location to present location. The school was closed for a few years in the 30's.
Sourisford School
(At least 1899-1931)
Coulter School #1
(1915-1948) School moved in 1948.
Coulter School #2
(1948-1958) School moved from previous location to present location in 1948.
Coultervale School
(1889-1968) Became the community centre and still stands as of 1983.
Dobbyn School
(1899-1908)
Elva School #1
(1892-1898) In 1898 Elva School moved to the location of Elva School #2.
West Brenda School
(1882-1949) Closed from January 1936 to the fall of 1937.
Addington School
(1887-1959) Addington School had three different school buildings all on the same site.
Berry Hill School
(1897-1955)
Brownlo School
(October 31,1917 - January 1,1918)
Medora School
(1886-1975) In 1898 it moved to Medora. In 1914 the name changed from Burns to Medora.
Croydon School
(1895-1963)
Hernefield School #2
(1918-1958) In 1918 Hernefield moved from previous location to present location.
Lennox-Goodlands School
(1884-1975)
Menota School
(1888-1952)
Mimosa School
(1888-1949) Name changed to Waskada.
Otter School #1
(At least 1886-1966) The second school was built just south of the first one.
Princess School
(At least 1885-1958) In 1958 Princess School consolidated with Waskada.
Elva School #2
(1898-1974) In 1898 Elva School moved from previous location to present location.
Sherwood School
(1910-1958)
Tremblay School #1
(1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay School moved to present location.
Tremblay School #2
(1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay moved from previous location to present location.
Waskada School
(1910-Present) Previously the Moira School.
Waterloo School
(1895-1967) Consolidated with Waskada in 1967.
Montefiore School #1
(1885-1966)
Beverly School #1
(1906-1946) In 1907 Beverly School moved to present location. In 1946 it consolidated with Tilston.
Beverly School #2
(1906-1946) In 1907 Beverly School moved from previous location to present location. In 1946 it consolidated with Tilston.
Copley School #1
(April 1895-1955) Copley School moved to present location about 1931/1932.
Copley School #2
(April 1895-1955) Copley school moved from previous location to present location about 1931/1932.
Pierson School
(At least 1892-Present)
Cuthbert School #1
(At least 1891- at least 1923) Cuthbert school moved to present location. Cuthbert school was also struck by lightning twice.
Cuthbert School #2
(At least 1891- at least 1923) Cuthbert school moved from previous location to present location.
Fulton School
(1919-1927) Opened again in February 1933, and then closed again in December 1933.
Lyleton School
(At least 1893-1971)
Roblin School
(At least 1899-1930's) Roblin school opened again in the mid 1940's and closed on June 30,1947.
Wicks School
(1909 - June 1953)
North Antler School #1
(1888-1951) North Antler School was closed from 1895-1897.
North Antler School #2
(1888-1951) Closed from 1895-1897. North Antler School moved from previous location to present location in about 1897/1898.
Brownlea School
(At least 1887-1966)
Bluevale School #1
(At least 1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved to present location.
Bluevale School #2
(1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved from previous location to present location.
East Lynn School
(1902-1966) Still there as of 1981.
Desford (Horton) School
(At least 1894/1895 - March 31st, 1966)
Dunallen School
(April 1,1902-1956)
Fairburn School
(June 1st,1888- June,1967) School grounds are now a road side park.
Lake Max School
(1904-1968)
Maple Grove School
(At least 1883- June 1967) Building still stand on original site as of 1981.
Petersburg School
(1894-1967) New school was built in 1957. In 2000 it was purchased by Glenn Buhler and made into a restaurant - Windy Willows, which is closed now. Still standing as of 2012.
Primrose School
(About 1887-1968)
Rayfield School
(About 1891-1937)
Montefiore School #2
(1885-1966) Montefiore school moved from its previous location to present location.
Richview School
(1888-July 30th,1967)
Royal School
(November 28th,1887 - June 28th,1968)
Kirkwood School #2
(At least 1893-1963) Kirkwood was closed from 1921-1935 then again from 1949-1952. In 1938 Kirkwood moved from previous location to present location.
Wapaha School
(At least 1894-1966) In 1966 Wapaha School consolidated with Turtle Mountain Division. Wapaha means Whitewater.
Dand School
(1919-June 1970)
Wood Lake School
(August 1893-1966)
Bayview School
(At least 1886-1966)
Coxworth School
(At least 1914-June,1964) 1966 consolidated with Deloraine.
Eunola School #2
(1898-1962) In 1900 Eunola School moved from its first location to the second location, and then in 1918 it moved again to the third and present location.
Mountainside School #2
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Luther School
(1900-1918) Consolidated into Dand.
Deloraine School
(1884-Present) School was in operation at Old Deloraine for two years before it moved to present Deloraine.
Flossie School
(1904-1966)
Kirkwood School #1
(At least 1893-1963) Kirkwood was closed from 1921-1935 then again from 1949-1952. In 1938 Kirkwood moved to the second school site.
Mountainside School #1
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside School moved to the second school location.
Regent School
(January 12, 1916 - June, 1959)
Thirlstane School #2
(Fall of 1887-1966) In 1908 Thirlstane School moved from previous location to present location.
Thirlstane School #1
(Fall of 1887-1966) In 1908 Thirlstane School moved second location.
Truro School #1
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Truro School #3
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Jubilee School
(September 11, 1957-1962)
Truro School #2
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Eunola School #3
(1898-1962) The doors of this rural schoolhouse have not stayed entirely closed with the end of classes.
Eunola School #1
(1898-1962) In 1900 Eunola School moved from its first location to the second location, and then in 1918 it moved again to the third and present location.
South Antler School #1
(1884-1914) South Antler School was destroyed in a fire and closed for a year. In 1915 it moved to the second and present location.
South Antler School #2
(1915-1954) In 1915 South Antler School moved from previous location to present location.
Errol School
(After 1882- about 1887)
Fern Hollow School
(1888-1889)
Caranton School #1
(1888-1945) Caranton was previously known as Nimitaw. The Caranton School District bought the old Nimitaw School building and moved it. And moved again twice in it's lifetime.
Caranton School #2
(1888-1945) Caranton School moved from previous location to the second school site.
Caranton School #3
(1888-1945) In 1903 Caranton School moved for the last time from the previous location to the third and present school site.
West Lake School #2
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved from previous location to 1/2 mile north to present location.
West Lake School #1
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved to second and present location.
Wassewa School
(1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.
Hazeldean School #1
(May 1, 1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from the first site to the second and present site.
Belfry School #2
(1896-1963) Belfry moved from previous location to here in 1896. Though it closed its doors in 1963, the building still stands on the site today.