Heritage Features

Items Listed by Physical Status: Remnants

Sites

Belfry School #2
(1896-1963) Belfry moved from previous location to here in 1896. Though it closed its doors in 1963, the building still stands on the site today.
Bannerman
(1905 – 1936) Bannerman served as the Canada Customs depot for travellers coming from North Dakota on the Great Northern Railway.
Billy's Point
(1930s) Billy Gosselin's home became a meeting place and dance hall for the Metigoshe Métis Community.
Boundary Trail Visible - Sourisford
(1873) The Boundary Commissioner Trail is still visible in this location. It is used by a local farmer to run cattle down to the Souris River.
Alston Site – Old Trading Post
(Late 1700s) The log foundations of a fur trading post were discovered at this site in 1937. This was one of two posts that were located on the south side of the Souris River as opposed to the north.
Brockinton Site
(800 – 1600 AD) During this site's earliest occupation, it was used as a bison pound.
Princess School
(At least 1885-1958) In 1958 Princess School consolidated with Waskada.
North Antler School #1
(1888-1951) North Antler School was closed from 1895-1897.
North Antler School #2
(1888-1951) Closed from 1895-1897. North Antler School moved from previous location to present location in about 1897/1898.
Brownlea School
(At least 1887-1966)
Dunallen School
(April 1,1902-1956)
Fairburn School
(June 1st,1888- June,1967) School grounds are now a road side park.
Maple Grove School
(At least 1883- June 1967) Building still stand on original site as of 1981.
Petersburg School
(1894-1967) New school was built in 1957. In 2000 it was purchased by Glenn Buhler and made into a restaurant - Windy Willows, which is closed now. Still standing as of 2012.
Royal School
(November 28th,1887 - June 28th,1968)
Dand School
(1919-June 1970)
Mountainside School #2
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Mountainside School #1
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside School moved to the second school location.
Truro School #3
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Old Wakopa Cemetery
(1880) The Old Wakopa Cemetery is the resting place of some of the earliest homesteaders of the Turtle Mountain region.
Mountainside
(1914 – 1961) Mountainside was an early prairie community and a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian Northern Railway.
Ash House
(1795 – 1797) Ash House was likely the first fur trading post built on the Souris River.
Desford Townsite
Fort Mr. Grant
(1824 – 1861) Cuthbert Grant established this fort on the Souris River on behalf of the HBC to keep illegal operations from diverting business away from the company.
Dalny
(1902 – 1970) Dalny was a station on the CPR’s Lyleton Subdivision branch line.
Dand
(1913 – 1962) Dand was a station on the CPR's “Blue Flea” line which grew into a small community.
Mennonite Church
(1939 – 1960) Mennonites from Eastern Europe and Russia immigrated to the Whitewater area in 1923 and built this church.
Lyleton
The CPR Lyleton Branch line reaching west from Deloraine terminated at Lyleton.
Métis Cemetery
(1920s – 1942) With the establishment of the Metigoshe Métis Community, a small cemetery appeared. The first body interred was an infant from the McLeod family. She was followed by seven others at most.
Old Deloraine
(1882 – 1886) Old Deloraine was established just north of the Land Titles Office, but moved when the railway came through the area.
Salter Mine
(1933 – 1938) The Salter mine operated as a rival to the neighbouring Henderson mine.
Underhill
(1898 - ) The general store is all that remains of this community which grew around the train station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway.
Wakopa
(1886 – 1960s) Old Wakopa moved to this location to be at the crux of two rail lines: the Canadian National and Great Northern.
Medicine Wheel
A Medicine Wheel sits here on the edge of the Souris River Valley.
Tipi Ring
Several tipi rings on this site suggest a First Nations camp was once located here.
Whitewater Village
(1886 – 1960s) Whitewater village flourished on the shore of Whitewater Lake for over 75 years.
Yellow Quill Trail – still visible
The Yellow Quill trail is still visible in this location.
Copley Church
(1890-1913) The Copley Church was the first church of any denomination to be built west of the Souris River. Sadly, it only saw a few years of active use.
Alida, SK
(1907 – Present) Alida was the terminus of the Lauder-Alida Branch of the CNR. In 2006 it had a population of 106 people.
Mullett Site
(1500 BCE – 750 AD) A bison kill and processing site on the bank of the Souris.
Snyder II Site
(1610 +/- 130) Excavations at this site lend considerable weight to the idea of pre-European horticultural activity in south-west Manitoba
Captain Large’s Blacksmith Shop
(1903 - ) Captain Large built his steamship the “Empress of Ireland” in his Blacksmith shop in Coulter: South Antler Steelworks.
Horton
(1905-1960s) A small community grew around this CNR railway station.
St. Paul's Church
(1892-1963) A collection of Belgian settlers built this church on Turtle Mountain.
St Claude Mission
(1882-1887) This mission was founded by Father John Malo. Later the parish grew as Metis families moved in from the Red River Settlement. The mission was moved to St John's when the railway came through.
CNR Continues East
(1898-1961) This branch of the CNR Railway came to southwest Manitoba from Winnipeg, via Carmen.
DhMg-86
(800 AD) A small surface collection from the Besant-Sonota culture was recovered at this site.
Snyder Dam Site
(800 AD) A brief excavation at this site uncovered two of the most complete Sonota/Besant vessels recovered in Western Canada.
St. Claude Cemetery
(1882-1887) Depressions mark several of the 47 graves recorded at the site.
Mandan-Hidatsa Village: Molander Site
(1780-1845) The site of an earthenlodge village belonging to either Mandan or Hidatsa existed on this site. Mandan villages along the Missouri River were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Mandan Village: Double Ditch Site
(1500-1781) The ruins of a large Mandan village exists at this site. Remains of earthlodges, refuse mounds and two surrounding ditches are clearly discernible. Mandan villages were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Mandan Village: Menoken Site
(1100-1845) At this site is a prehistoric earthlodge village surrounded by a large fortification ditch with four clearly defined bastions. Mandan villages along the Missouri River were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Barber School
(1886-1961)
Chain Lakes School
(1894-1917)
Grand Bend School
(1890-1946)
Grand Pre School
(1893-1919)
Maple Hill School
(1914-1964)
Melgund School
(At least 1885-1962)
West Hall School
(1889-1958)
Whitewater School
(1884-1961)
Arthur School
(At least 1887-1957)
All Saint's Church
(1888-1929) The All Saints Church was established by a group of Church of England settlers. It served the area for over 30 years.
Hernefield School #1
(1885-1918) In 1918 Hernefield moved to present location.
Coulter School #2
(1948-1958) School moved from previous location to present location in 1948.
Coultervale School
(1889-1968) Became the community centre and still stands as of 1983.
Addington School
(1887-1959) Addington School had three different school buildings all on the same site.
Berry Hill School
(1897-1955)
Medora School
(1886-1975) In 1898 it moved to Medora. In 1914 the name changed from Burns to Medora.
Hernefield School #2
(1918-1958) In 1918 Hernefield moved from previous location to present location.
Mimosa School
(1888-1949) Name changed to Waskada.

Routes

Boundary Commission Trail
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
CPR-Lyleton Branch to Waskada
After much hard work, locals in Waskada convinced the CPR to build a rail line southwest of Deloraine. It reached as far as Waskada in 1900.
CNR-Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Hartney
(1900-1961) The Canadian National Railway was built past "Trackend" at Argue to reach Hartney from the east in 1900.
CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Adelpha
The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
CNR Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Virden
(1905) The CNR built a bridge over the Souris River and reached Grande Clairière in the fall and Virden by Christmas.
CPR-Lyleton Branch to Lyleton
Lyleton received service by rail in 1902, two years after the railway reached Waskada.
Dunseith Trail
(1920 – 1933) Rum-runners used the Dunseith Trail to smuggle illegal alcohol into North Dakota in the days of alcohol prohibition.
CNR Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Argue
(1898 – 1961) The CNR was built as far as Argue in 1898. Argue was known as “Trackend” while the future course of the line was debated. Delegations from Deloraine, Waskada, Melita and Hartney lobbied for the route to go to their respective towns.
Great Northern Railway
(1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
CPR Lauder-Alida Branch to Alida
(19011-1976) The CPR continued to Alida, SK in 1911.
CPR Lauder-Alida Branch
(1905-1976) The CPR built west of Lauder as far as Broomhill then continued to Tilston the following summer. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
Yellow Quill Trail
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.
CPR Lauder Branch
(1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
CPR Lauder-Alida Branch to Tilston
(1907-1976) The CPR from Lauder continued to Tilston in 1907. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Deloraine
The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.

Areas

Ducharme Property
(1920s-1960s) A pair of Métis brothers lived out their lives on this quarter section.