Heritage Features

Items Listed by Theme: Fur Trade

Sites

Ash House
(1795 – 1797) Ash House was likely the first fur trading post built on the Souris River.
American Fur Trading Co. Fort
(1810 – 1828) There were two fur trading posts on the Souris River run by the American Fur Trading Company. The exact location of the other one is unknown.
Alston Site – Old Trading Post
(Late 1700s) The log foundations of a fur trading post were discovered at this site in 1937. This was one of two posts that were located on the south side of the Souris River as opposed to the north.
Garrioch's Post
(1840 – 1845) Peter Garrioch was an independent fur trader, and a bitter rival to the H.B.C. And N. W. Co. Some of his trade was no doubt illegal.
Fort Desjarlais
(1836 – 1858) The independently run Fort Desjarlais was the largest and most successful of the Souris River Fur Trading Forts.
Fort Mr. Grant
(1824 – 1861) Cuthbert Grant established this fort on the Souris River on behalf of the HBC to keep illegal operations from diverting business away from the company.
H.B.C. Post
(1880) This Hudson's Bay Company post was managed by Agent C. Burns.
H.B.C. Post - Whitewater
(1802-1805) The Hudson Bay Company operated a winter fur trading post south of Whitewater Lake for a few years. It was not a success and was soon abandoned.
Independent Fur Trading Post - Melita
(1849) The exact location of this fort close to present-day Melita is unknown.
Independent Fur Trading Post - Metigoshe
(1818 – 1850) An independent fur trader set up a post south of Lake Metigoshe.
Independent Fur Trading Post - Napinka
(1846) An independent trader who was believed to come from Turtle Mountain set up a post in the Napinka area.
Lena House: Possible Location
(1801 – 1802) Lena House was one of the only fur trading forts established on Turtle Mountain. Its location has never been conclusively determined.
Magwood Site – Independent Trading Post
The remains of a very old independent trading post were found here in the 1940s. It is unknown when exactly it operated.
Mandan Trail Viewpoint
Take in a gentle view over the prairie towards Whitewater Lake from a point on the now obliterated Mandan Trail.
Métis Trading Post
(1840s) A Métis fur trading post operated here on the Souris River for a short time in the 1840s.
North West Co. Post
(1802-1805) The North West Fur Trading Company set up a post only a few miles from their rivals, the HBC.
Red River Cart
(1801 – 1870s) A replica of a Red River Cart sits in the Deloraine Park. The Red River Cart was specifically designed to suit the fur trade. Its squeaky wheels carved deep trails into the prairie landscape of the 1800s.
Turtle Mountain Post
(1845, 1848 – 1855) For the latter years of its operation, this fur trading post was operated by the HBC's Antoine Desjarlais. The exact location of the post is unknown, though it may have replaced Lena House on the slope of Turtle Mountain.
X.Y. Fort
(1795) The X.Y. Company was made up of disgruntled North West Co. Workers. This post was managed by Mr. Peter Grant and operated in opposition to the nearby N.W. Co. Ash Fort.
Whitewater Lake
Whitewater Lake was an important natural feature to yesterday's earliest peoples and provides a safe haven for today's birds and wildlife.
Mandan-Hidatsa Village: Molander Site
(1780-1845) The site of an earthenlodge village belonging to either Mandan or Hidatsa existed on this site. Mandan villages along the Missouri River were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Mandan Village: Double Ditch Site
(1500-1781) The ruins of a large Mandan village exists at this site. Remains of earthlodges, refuse mounds and two surrounding ditches are clearly discernible. Mandan villages were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Mandan Village: Menoken Site
(1100-1845) At this site is a prehistoric earthlodge village surrounded by a large fortification ditch with four clearly defined bastions. Mandan villages along the Missouri River were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Yellow Quill Trail Continues
Yellowquill Trail continues west from this point. It meets up with the Carleton Trail at present-day Portage la Prairie.
American Fur Co. Company Fort
(1808-1828) The American Fur Company traded on the Souris River until their operations were shut down by Cuthbert Grant. The exact location of this fort is unknown.

Routes

Mandan Trail
The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
Yellow Quill Trail
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.
Boundary Commission Trail
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.