Heritage Features

Items Listed by Access Terms: Publicly Accessible

Sites

Melita
(1891-Present) The community of Manchester became Melita when it moved to be beside the railway.
Melgund Cemetery
Melgund Cemetery. Several headstones still exist on the site.
St. Claude Cemetery
(1882-1887) Depressions mark several of the 47 graves recorded at the site.
Mandan-Hidatsa Village: Molander Site
(1780-1845) The site of an earthenlodge village belonging to either Mandan or Hidatsa existed on this site. Mandan villages along the Missouri River were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Mandan Village: Double Ditch Site
(1500-1781) The ruins of a large Mandan village exists at this site. Remains of earthlodges, refuse mounds and two surrounding ditches are clearly discernible. Mandan villages were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
Mandan Village: Menoken Site
(1100-1845) At this site is a prehistoric earthlodge village surrounded by a large fortification ditch with four clearly defined bastions. Mandan villages along the Missouri River were connected to Canadian fur trading posts via the Mandan Trail.
All Saint's Church
(1888-1929) The All Saints Church was established by a group of Church of England settlers. It served the area for over 30 years.
Melita School
(1886-Present) The old building is still in Melita housing the Melita Museum.
Waskada School
(1910-Present) Previously the Moira School.
Fairburn School
(June 1st,1888- June,1967) School grounds are now a road side park.
Eunola School #3
(1898-1962) The doors of this rural schoolhouse have not stayed entirely closed with the end of classes.
Old Wakopa Cemetery
(1880) The Old Wakopa Cemetery is the resting place of some of the earliest homesteaders of the Turtle Mountain region.
Elva
(1891-Present) Elva was named after the first child to be born in the village.
Brockinton Site
(800 – 1600 AD) During this site's earliest occupation, it was used as a bison pound.
Boissevain
(1885 – Present) Cherry Creek was the name of this town before the CPR came through and renamed it after a Dutch financier.
Canada Creek
The Forestry Reserve game wardens chose to turn their heads the other direction when it came to the fishing practices of the Metis living around Metigoshe Lake.
Coulter
(1901 – Present) Coulter was a station on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It grew into a small community.
Deloraine
(1886-Present) The town of Old Deloraine relocated to this location to be on along the railroad.
Desford Townsite
Fairburn “Park”
A small plot of land is set aside where the rail bed of the Great Northern Railway crosses the present-day No. 3 Highway. This was the location of the Fairburn train station.
Grande Clairière
(1888 – Present) A Catholic priest from France established a parish and community here.
Dand
(1913 – 1962) Dand was a station on the CPR's “Blue Flea” line which grew into a small community.
Goodlands
(1899 – Present) This village grew up around the train station on the CPR line that led southwest from Deloraine.
Mandan Trail Viewpoint
Take in a gentle view over the prairie towards Whitewater Lake from a point on the now obliterated Mandan Trail.
Medora
Medora was a village on the Canadian Pacific Railway between Deloraine and Napinka.
Mennonite Cemetery
(1925 – 1968) The first cemetery of the Mennonite Church in southwest Manitoba.
Mennonite Church
(1939 – 1960) Mennonites from Eastern Europe and Russia immigrated to the Whitewater area in 1923 and built this church.
Lyleton
The CPR Lyleton Branch line reaching west from Deloraine terminated at Lyleton.
Lauder
(1891) Two of the CPR lines met at Lauder in a “T” junction.
Old Deloraine
(1882 – 1886) Old Deloraine was established just north of the Land Titles Office, but moved when the railway came through the area.
Old Deloraine Cemetery
(1881) The area's very first permanent pioneers were laid to rest in this scenic cemetery.
Ninga
Napinka
(1891 – Present) At the crux of two railways, Napinka was at first thought destined to be a successful railway town.
Red River Cart
(1801 – 1870s) A replica of a Red River Cart sits in the Deloraine Park. The Red River Cart was specifically designed to suit the fur trade. Its squeaky wheels carved deep trails into the prairie landscape of the 1800s.
Strathallen School
(1892 – 1966) The grounds of Strathallen School are still in occasional use today as a community gathering place and baseball field.
Underhill
(1898 - ) The general store is all that remains of this community which grew around the train station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway.
Verona School
(1885 – 1958) Verona School served as a schoolhouse and early community centre.
Pierson
The Town of Pierson was incorporated in 1891.
Wakopa
(1886 – 1960s) Old Wakopa moved to this location to be at the crux of two rail lines: the Canadian National and Great Northern.
St. John, ND
The Great Northern Railway connected St. John, North Dakota with Brandon, Manitoba.
Waskada
(1899 – Present) The first buildings in Waskada were a post office and grain elevator.
Sourisford Linear Burial Mounds
(900 – 1400 AD) Artifacts from these thousand year-old burial mounds indicate the trade relations that existed upon the plains before convenient modes of transportation.
Whitewater Village
(1886 – 1960s) Whitewater village flourished on the shore of Whitewater Lake for over 75 years.
Whitewater Lake
Whitewater Lake was an important natural feature to yesterday's earliest peoples and provides a safe haven for today's birds and wildlife.
Picnic Area by Canada Creek
(Post 1908) A plot of land nearby Canada Creek was used as a ball field and picnic area by the Metigoshe Métis Community.
Copley Church
(1890-1913) The Copley Church was the first church of any denomination to be built west of the Souris River. Sadly, it only saw a few years of active use.
Lauder Cemetery
(1899 – Present) The Lauder Cemetery is extremely well kept.
Alida, SK
(1907 – Present) Alida was the terminus of the Lauder-Alida Branch of the CNR. In 2006 it had a population of 106 people.
Corner of Manitoba
Manitoba’s borders were extended to reach the present-day Manitoba/Saskatchewan border in 1881.
St. Paul's Cemetery
(1892-1963) A charming cemetery on Turtle Mountain
Cavell School
(1917-1957)
Prairie Skills Building
(1896 –Present) The Prairie Skills building has come through many incarnations since it was built to serve as a Catholic church.
Proboscidean Tusk
The ancient fossilized mammoth or mastodon tusk found at this site dates back over 33,000 years.
CPR Continues
The Canadian Pacific Railway continues east to connect with Winnipeg via Morden.
Horton
(1905-1960s) A small community grew around this CNR railway station.
All Saint's Cemetery
(1888-1904) The All Saints Cemetery is home to at least 8 graves.
Quaker Church Cemetery
(1899 – 1948) A small cemetery exists beside where the Chain Lakes Friends Meeting House once stood.
St. Paul's Church
(1892-1963) A collection of Belgian settlers built this church on Turtle Mountain.
St Claude Mission
(1882-1887) This mission was founded by Father John Malo. Later the parish grew as Metis families moved in from the Red River Settlement. The mission was moved to St John's when the railway came through.
CPR Continues West
(1891 – Present) From Melita, the CPR railway continues west to Estecan, SK.
Waskada Park
Camping facilities are available in the Waskada Park. PHONE: 204-673-2401 VISIT: http://www.campscout.com/campground/MB0156/

Routes

Dunseith Trail
(1920 – 1933) Rum-runners used the Dunseith Trail to smuggle illegal alcohol into North Dakota in the days of alcohol prohibition.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Napinka
(1892) Work on a rail line past Deloraine was finally started, and headed to Napinka which displeased farmers in Melita.
CPR-Estevan Branch to Saskatchewan
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Melita in 1891 and continued to the Saskatchewan border.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Deloraine
The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
CPR-Estevan Branch to Hartney
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Hartney from Brandon in 1890.
CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Deloraine
The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
CPR-Lyleton Branch to Lyleton
Lyleton received service by rail in 1902, two years after the railway reached Waskada.
CPR-Lyleton Branch to Waskada
After much hard work, locals in Waskada convinced the CPR to build a rail line southwest of Deloraine. It reached as far as Waskada in 1900.
Boundary Commission Trail
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Boissevain
The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Adelpha
The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.

Areas

Ducharme Property
(1920s-1960s) A pair of Métis brothers lived out their lives on this quarter section.