Heritage Features

Items Listed by Physical Status: Intact

Sites

Quaker Church
(1899 – 1948) The Chain Lakes Friends Meeting House operated here for 50 years before being moved to Dand and renamed the Dand United Church.
Napinka School
(1884-1975) Napinka School was closed from 1893-1894.
Wassewa School
(1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.
Hazeldean School #2
(May 1,1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from previous location to present location.
Elva
(1891-Present) Elva was named after the first child to be born in the village.
Beckoning Hills Museum
Look at life through the eyes of a prairie pioneer at the Beckoning Hills Museum.
Boissevain
(1885 – Present) Cherry Creek was the name of this town before the CPR came through and renamed it after a Dutch financier.
Coulter
(1901 – Present) Coulter was a station on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It grew into a small community.
Deloraine
(1886-Present) The town of Old Deloraine relocated to this location to be on along the railroad.
Coulter Park
Coulter Park is the site of the longest running annual picnic. Ever since 1882 it has been used as a recreational facility.
Grande Clairière
(1888 – Present) A Catholic priest from France established a parish and community here.
Hartney
(1882 – Present) Hartney is a town with a vibrant history, pleasant present and bright future!
Irvin Goodon Wildlife Museum
A collection of 300 full-mount animals from North America and New Zealand set in interactive, natural scenes.
Goodlands
(1899 – Present) This village grew up around the train station on the CPR line that led southwest from Deloraine.
Kentner's Great Northern Railway Museum
Bill Kentner houses a Great Northern Railway Museum in his back yard northeast of Boissevain. He welcomes phone-ahead tours by donation.
McCharles Cabin
(1940s) This tiny cabin was the vibrant home for Roy and Maggie McCharles and their 10 children.
Medora
Medora was a village on the Canadian Pacific Railway between Deloraine and Napinka.
Mennonite Cemetery
(1925 – 1968) The first cemetery of the Mennonite Church in southwest Manitoba.
Lauder
(1891) Two of the CPR lines met at Lauder in a “T” junction.
Marsden School No. 2
(1938 – 1966) Métis kids from around Metigoshe Lake attended Marsden School No. 2. It became a hall and community centre for the Métis.
Newcomb's Hollow
Newcomb's Hollow is a pretty spot where a small interpretive centre for the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office has been built with a replica of the old Office.
Old Deloraine Cemetery
(1881) The area's very first permanent pioneers were laid to rest in this scenic cemetery.
Ninga
Napinka
(1891 – Present) At the crux of two railways, Napinka was at first thought destined to be a successful railway town.
Red River Cart
(1801 – 1870s) A replica of a Red River Cart sits in the Deloraine Park. The Red River Cart was specifically designed to suit the fur trade. Its squeaky wheels carved deep trails into the prairie landscape of the 1800s.
Strathallen School
(1892 – 1966) The grounds of Strathallen School are still in occasional use today as a community gathering place and baseball field.
Verona School
(1885 – 1958) Verona School served as a schoolhouse and early community centre.
Pierson
The Town of Pierson was incorporated in 1891.
St. John, ND
The Great Northern Railway connected St. John, North Dakota with Brandon, Manitoba.
Waskada
(1899 – Present) The first buildings in Waskada were a post office and grain elevator.
Sourisford Linear Burial Mounds
(900 – 1400 AD) Artifacts from these thousand year-old burial mounds indicate the trade relations that existed upon the plains before convenient modes of transportation.
Lauder Cemetery
(1899 – Present) The Lauder Cemetery is extremely well kept.
Bison Rubbing Stone - Chain Lakes
A bison rubbing stone north of the Chain Lakes
Bison Rubbing Stone - Pierson
A bison rubbing stone south of Pierson.
St. Paul's Cemetery
(1892-1963) A charming cemetery on Turtle Mountain
Cavell School
(1917-1957)
Max Lake Recreation
(1898 – Present) Max Lake has long been a holiday destination spot.
Prairie Skills Building
(1896 –Present) The Prairie Skills building has come through many incarnations since it was built to serve as a Catholic church.
Proboscidean Tusk
The ancient fossilized mammoth or mastodon tusk found at this site dates back over 33,000 years.
CPR Continues
The Canadian Pacific Railway continues east to connect with Winnipeg via Morden.
All Saint's Cemetery
(1888-1904) The All Saints Cemetery is home to at least 8 graves.
Quaker Church Cemetery
(1899 – 1948) A small cemetery exists beside where the Chain Lakes Friends Meeting House once stood.
Antler River Historical Society Museum
Housed in a circa 1905 eight classroom schoolhouse, Melita's only museum is well laid out.
Melita
(1891-Present) The community of Manchester became Melita when it moved to be beside the railway.
CPR Continues West
(1891 – Present) From Melita, the CPR railway continues west to Estecan, SK.
Waskada Park
Camping facilities are available in the Waskada Park. PHONE: 204-673-2401 VISIT: http://www.campscout.com/campground/MB0156/
Melgund Cemetery
Melgund Cemetery. Several headstones still exist on the site.
Moncur Gallery – People of the Plains
The Moncur Gallery contains over 1000 artifacts, most of which local historian Mr. Bill Moncur picked up out of his field.
Grande Clairière School
(1889-1966)
Melita School
(1886-Present) The old building is still in Melita housing the Melita Museum.
Peninsula School
(1901-1960)
Menota School
(1888-1952)
Waskada School
(1910-Present) Previously the Moira School.
Bayview School
(At least 1886-1966)
Deloraine School
(1884-Present) School was in operation at Old Deloraine for two years before it moved to present Deloraine.
Eunola School #3
(1898-1962) The doors of this rural schoolhouse have not stayed entirely closed with the end of classes.

Routes

CPR-Estevan Branch to Saskatchewan
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Melita in 1891 and continued to the Saskatchewan border.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Deloraine
The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Napinka
(1892) Work on a rail line past Deloraine was finally started, and headed to Napinka which displeased farmers in Melita.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Boissevain
The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
CPR-Estevan Branch to Hartney
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Hartney from Brandon in 1890.