(1882 – 1988) George Morton bought this sawmill from Mr. Bolton. It sat on the shore of Lake Max until a forest fire destroyed much of the available timber. It continued operations to the north.
- Lake Max Recreation
- An Early Holidaying Hotspot . . . 1898 - Present As the largest lake in what is now Turtle Mountain Provincial Park, Max Lake was the natural location of choice for summer holidaying. Sawmill One of the first events to pull attention to the lake was the construction of the Bolton Sawmill on the north bank in 1881. In 1882 the mill was bought by George Morton to provide lumber for the village of Whitewater and Town of Boissevain. The mill’s operation brought men to the lake to work and established regular activity in the area. Despite its business-like beginning, …
- Lake Max Sawmill
- 1880-1985 The sawmill that started out on the shore of Lake Max has a long and interesting history. For nearly 100 years it served the residents of the area, providing lumber so that the region could become populated by homes, barns and businesses. It was by no means the only sawmill on Turtle Mountain, but its duration far exceeds any others. Mr. Morton's Mill In 1880 Mr Bolton established a sawmill on the shore of Lake Max. The next year, entrepreneur George Morton bought the sawmill and used it to produce lumber for nearly every building in the then thriving …