Heritage Features

Items Listed by Access Terms: Unknown or Not Applicable

Sites

Belfry School #2
(1896-1963) Belfry moved from previous location to here in 1896. Though it closed its doors in 1963, the building still stands on the site today.
Hartney Campground
Located next to the pool and playground in Hartney. PHONE: In summer: 204-858-2167. Otherwise: 204-858-2429. EMAIL: hartney@mts.net VISIT: http://www.hartney.ca/default.asp?fxoid=FXMenu,3&ID=10&sub_ID=213&sub2_ID=135
Quaker Church
(1899 – 1948) The Chain Lakes Friends Meeting House operated here for 50 years before being moved to Dand and renamed the Dand United Church.
Bannerman
(1905 – 1936) Bannerman served as the Canada Customs depot for travellers coming from North Dakota on the Great Northern Railway.
Adelpha
The Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway reached Adelpha in 1905 and went no further until 1914. Adelpha was a hub of commercial activity during this time.
Argue
(1898 – 1961) Argue was known as "Trackend" for a year as it was the most westerly station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway until 1900 when the line continued to Hartney and Virden.
Bolton's Sawmill
(1880 – 1881) Mr. Bolton established a sawmill on the north shore of Lake Max. It was bought by George Morton the next year.
American Fur Trading Co. Fort
(1810 – 1828) There were two fur trading posts on the Souris River run by the American Fur Trading Company. The exact location of the other one is unknown.
Alston Site – Old Trading Post
(Late 1700s) The log foundations of a fur trading post were discovered at this site in 1937. This was one of two posts that were located on the south side of the Souris River as opposed to the north.
Assiniboine Tents
(1738) La Verendrye was the first European to cross the plains and in 1738 he came across a collection of 101 Assiniboine tents along Cherry Creek.
Alcester
(1908 – 1936) Alcester was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line.
Cadzow
(1886 - ) Cadzow was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Coal Discovered-1879
(1879) The first lignite coal to be discovered in Manitoba occurred nearby Wakopa.
Veva's Diner
A newer, bigger building built in 2011. 513 Mill Rd, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2989
Coatstone
(1914 – 1961) Coatstone was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
Garrioch's Post
(1840 – 1845) Peter Garrioch was an independent fur trader, and a bitter rival to the H.B.C. And N. W. Co. Some of his trade was no doubt illegal.
Cameron
(1902 – 1996) Cameron was a stop on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Buck's Hill: Dakota-Assiniboine Battle
(1820s and 1830s) The Dakota and Assiniboine met in this region for a battle.
Dakota Camp after the Battle of Little Bighorn
(1876) After the Battle of Little Bighorn in South Dakota, the victorious Dakota camped temporarily on the western end of Turtle Mountain in Canada.
Deep Ravine (McLeod) Mine
(1931 – 1933) The Mcleod Coal Mine operated for two years, run by a pair of spirited men from Wales.
Desford
(1908 – 1936) Desford was the name of a station along the Great Northern Railway.
First Settler Shanty in Southwest Manitoba
(1879) Two brothers, Oliver and Herb Smith, were the first permanent homesteaders in the south-west, before the section, township and range system of surveying the land was implemented.
Bigway Foods
117 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3362 or 204-522-3366
Fort Desjarlais
(1836 – 1858) The independently run Fort Desjarlais was the largest and most successful of the Souris River Fur Trading Forts.
Coates School
(1901-1934)
Dalny
(1902 – 1970) Dalny was a station on the CPR’s Lyleton Subdivision branch line.
Dakota – Assiniboine Battle
(1849) A battle between the Dakota and Assiniboine occurred on this site.
Dakota-Assiniboine Battle - Souris River
(1793) The Dakota were opposed to the fur trade in the Souris basin and wanted the Assiniboine to stop trading with the fur traders. During a battle held in this approximate location, the Dakota wiped out an entire Assiniboine village.
Fairburn
(1908 – 1936) Fairburn was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line from St. John North Dakota to Brandon, Manitoba.
Dodd's Store
(1880) Dodd's Store (operated by Mr. Kingdon in 1885) was the first store on the site of what would become the community of Adelpha. The store was a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail.
Cranmer
(1900 – 1996) Cranmer was a stop on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Grande Clairière Convent
(1898 – 1923) The Grande Clairière Convent was the home of six nuns and about 40 boarding house students at a time.
Grande Clairière Station
(1905 – 1961) When the railroad finally reached Grande Clairière, the station was established north of town.
H.B.C. Post
(1880) This Hudson's Bay Company post was managed by Agent C. Burns.
H.B.C. Post - Whitewater
(1802-1805) The Hudson Bay Company operated a winter fur trading post south of Whitewater Lake for a few years. It was not a success and was soon abandoned.
Hainsworth Mine
(1931 – 1933) The Hainsworth Mine was operated by the Deloraine Coal Company for two years.
Hazeldean
(1914 – 1961) Hazeldean was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
Henderson Mine
(1932 – 1943) The Henderson Coal Mine operated for a solid 11 years and provided coal to locals of the area.
Independent Fur Trading Post - Melita
(1849) The exact location of this fort close to present-day Melita is unknown.
Independent Fur Trading Post - Metigoshe
(1818 – 1850) An independent fur trader set up a post south of Lake Metigoshe.
Independent Fur Trading Post - Napinka
(1846) An independent trader who was believed to come from Turtle Mountain set up a post in the Napinka area.
Hathaway
(1913 – 1962) Hathaway was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” Line of the CPR.
Fox Sawmill
(1881 – 1884) Thomas L. Fox was an early settler in the Wakopa area. He received a logging licence early in 1881.
Hoysun Chinese Restaurant
Downtown Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-6373
Leige
(1914 – 1961) Leige was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway Line.
Leighton
(1892 - ?) Leighton was the name of a train station on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Lena House: Possible Location
(1801 – 1802) Lena House was one of the only fur trading forts established on Turtle Mountain. Its location has never been conclusively determined.
Louis McLeod Homestead
(1908) Louis McLeod's log home was probably the first permanent Metis settlement on Turtle Mountain.
Magwood Site – Independent Trading Post
The remains of a very old independent trading post were found here in the 1940s. It is unknown when exactly it operated.
Manitoba Coal Co. Operations
(1889 – 1891) The Manitoba Coal Co. operations were less successful than originally dreamed.
Marsden School No. 1
(1908 – 1966) Marsden No. 1 was attended by children of European settlers living on the farmland to the north, whereas Marsden No. 2 was attended by Métis children living in the bush around Lake Metigoshe.
McArthur Mine
(1893) Mr. Duncan McArthur supplied coal from this mine to a local market for a few years. In the 1930s it was re-opened before being permanently closed.
Menota Post Office
Moberly
(1882 – 1920) The townsite of Moberly on the shore of Whitewater Lake was promoted as a resort town. It turned out to be a giant land swindle and the town never materialized.
Manchester
(1881 – 1890) The town of Manchester moved to the railway when it came through the area and was renamed Melita.
Mandan-Assiniboine Battle
(1780) Spurred on by the Dakota, the Mandans waged several battles against the Assiniboine. This was closely following the dissolution of an alliance between the Mandan and the Assiniboine.
McKay Mine
(1904) McKay Coal Mine.
Lennox Post Office
(1886 - ?) Lennox Post Office
Lennox Mine
(1883) The Lennox Coal Mine was the first commercial coal mine in Manitoba. It's location is not exact.
Bidford School
(At least 1887-1964)
Métis Bison Hunt - Chain Lakes
(1850) A bison hunt took place between Whitewater Lake and the Chain Lakes. It involved 1000 Red River Carts. Cutting up the carcasses after the hunt took eight days.
Métis Bison Hunt - Souris River
(1840) Red River Métis hunted bison along the Souris River south of Melita
Métis Bison Hunter Stopping Places
(After 1830) The Chain Lakes provided a convenient stopping place for Red River Métis Bison hunters moving between Turtle Mountain, Whitewater and the Lauder Sandhills.
Métis Bison Hunts - Lauder Sandhills
(1837) A group of Métis bison hunters from St. Francois Xavier hunted bison in the Lauder Sandhills for several years.
Métis Settlement
(1860s) A Métis settlement was established on the north shore of Whitewater Lake. It lasted fifteen years before being abandoned.
Métis Trading Post
(1840s) A Métis fur trading post operated here on the Souris River for a short time in the 1840s.
North West Co. Post
(1802-1805) The North West Fur Trading Company set up a post only a few miles from their rivals, the HBC.
Old Wakopa
(1877 – 1886) The first town in the southwest. Bernard B. LaRiviere established a home and store which serviced the first settlers coming west along the Boundary Commission Trail.
Old Wassewa
(1885) George Morton established a store and stopping place at this location. The store was moved to the present site of Boissevain where it became the town's first building.
Orthez
(1913 – 1962) The McCabe elevator at this CPR station had a 55,000 bushel capacity, the largest on the "Blue Flea" Line.
Naples
(1886 - ?) Naples was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Montefiore
(1880 – 1885) Montifiore began as a stopping place on the Boundary Commission Trail. A rural school and gravel road were named after it.
Powne Mine
(1933 – 1935) The Powne mine had an excellent quality of coal and was mined by the Powne family for at least two seasons.
Sam Smith Saw Mill
Sourisapolis (Souris City)
(1882 – 1916) A few real estate agents sold lots trying to promote the town of Sourisapolis, but a town was never built here.
Tipi Rings and Crossing
Early cultures used this place as a stopping place and ceremonial center. It was a convenient place to cross the Long River.
Turtle Mountain City
(1882) Turtle Mountain City existed for not even a year before the town of Waubeesh appeared not a mile to the north.
Turtle Mountain Post
(1845, 1848 – 1855) For the latter years of its operation, this fur trading post was operated by the HBC's Antoine Desjarlais. The exact location of the post is unknown, though it may have replaced Lena House on the slope of Turtle Mountain.
Vodon Mine
(1885 – 1887) The Vodon Coal Mine was the first large-scale mining attempt.
Sanger
Sanger was a station of the CPR. The “Blue Flea” Line headed north from here.
Regent
(1913 – 1962) The Manitoba Pool elevator at the train station held a 88,200 bushel capacity.
Schaffner
(1914 – 1962) Shaffner was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” line of the CPR.
R&M Value Foods
123 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-8680
Wassewa
(1914 – 1961) Wassewa became the name of a train station on the Canadian National Railway, located nearby the Wassewa stopping place established by George Morton.
Waubeesh
(1883 – 1887) Waubeesh flourished where Turtle Mountain City did not, but only for a few years before being bypassed by the railroad.
X.Y. Fort
(1795) The X.Y. Company was made up of disgruntled North West Co. Workers. This post was managed by Mr. Peter Grant and operated in opposition to the nearby N.W. Co. Ash Fort.
Choy's Restaurant
Delicious Chinese Food. 558 Stephen Street, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-6257
Brock School
(July 1894-1967)
Boissevain Bakery
Breads, Cakes, Muffins, Cinnamon Buns, Cookies, Coffee and many other treats. Phone: 204-534-6130
Chicken Chef
Located in the Home Hotel, 488 South Railway, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-6272
Walkinshaw Place
Peaceful bed and breakfast accommodation near Turtle Mountain Provincial Park. Phone: 1-888-739-2579 Email: walkinshawplace@mts.net Visit: http://www.walkinshawplace.net/
International Peace Garden Cafe
Located in the new Peace Garden Interpretive centre, nearby the cactus garden. Hours: 10:00am-5:00pm 7days a week
International Peace Garden Campground
Located inside the beautiful Peace Garden on the Canada / US border. Cafe, Souvenir shop and interpretive centre nearby. Phone: 1-204-534-2510 Visit: http://www.peacegarden.com/camping.htm
William Lake Campground
Nearby beautiful Lake William and the popular Turtle’s Back hike. Phone: 1-800-214-6497
Adam Lake Campground
Near Lake Adam and beach area. Phone: 1-800-214-6497
Room to Grow Greenhouse and Guesthouse
Settle into the cozy straw bale guesthouse or more rustic pond house for a relaxed Turtle Mountain getaway. Phone: 1-204-534-2303 Email: roomtogrow@xplornet.com Visit: http://www.roomtogrow.info
Max Lake Campground
Nearby Lake Max and boat launch area. Phone: 1-800-214-6497
Sawmill Tea and Coffee Company
The Sawmill serves a simple lunch, coffeehouse beverages and treats. Used book store, handmade items, pool table. Open late. PHONE: 204-534-2232 EMAIL: sawmill@prairiepartners.ca VISIT: http://www.prairiepartners.ca/sawmill/default.html
Roscoe's Bar
Friday night steak nights during the winter at Roscoe’s Bar are very worthwhile. 550 Mill Rd, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2560
The Loft Bed and Breakfast
Phone: 1-204-534-8004 Email: theloftbb@yahoo.ca
Busy B Drive In
Good fast food and ice cream on the north edge of Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2226
Boissevain Campground
Located next door to the swimming pool, ball diamonds and fair grounds. Phone: 1-204-534-2406 Email: blittlejohn@mts.net
Deloraine Elks Campground
Located ¼ mile E of Hwy 21, in Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2677 or 204-747-2416 VISIT: http://www.campscout.com/campground/MB0119/
Boundary Consumer's Co-op
336 South Railway St, Boissevain. Phone: 204-534-2441
Gord's Service Station
300 South Railway St, Boissevain. Locally owned and operated. Phone: 204-534-6568
Country Corner Cafe
Located in Ninga, drop in for a piece of pie! Phone: 204-534-2373.
Silver Saddle Grill
Located in Minto, 15 minutes north of Boissevain. Local hang-out, lunch, dinner and coffee. Phone: 204-776-2224
Boissevain Farmer's Market
“Romance by the Railroad Park,” South Railway St – Local farmers and craftspeople gather here every Friday from June 1st to September 30th. Lunch is served by a different community group every week. 11am - 1pm
Boissevain Golf Course Clubhouse
Just south of Boissevain off Hwy 10. Phone: 204-534-2365
Boundary Consumer Gas Bar and Convenience Store
578 Mill Rd. Home to Hotstuff Pizza and a full convenience store. Phone: 204-534-7243
Boissevain Consumer's Co-op Card-lock
Hwy 10, just north of Boissevain
Melgund Post Office
(1884 - 1899) The first post office in the area. Prior to its existence mail was brought from Brandon or Souris by anyone who happened to go there.
Fletcher Store
A small general store existed here for some time, it was owned by Fletcher Shillington, a bachelor.
Hunter Blacksmith Shop
A small blacksmith shop, perhaps 10’ by 10’ was opened by Archie Hunter who came from Ontario in 1890. He moved his business into Lauder when the railway was built.
Lime Kiln
(1890 - 1892) Lime Kiln. Not much is known about this site, other than that it existed. It is unknown whether it produced lime for local markets or for export.
Cheese Factory
(1895 - 1897) A Cheese Factory existed on this site for a short time. Milk was gathered from surrounding farms and made into cheese.
Lauder Ferry
(1892 – 1895) A raft made of trees and timbers served as a ferry across the Souris R. in the early days of settlement. It was operated by a pulley system and usually only in the spring when waters were high.
Morton Sawmill
(1882 – 1988) George Morton bought this sawmill from Mr. Bolton. It sat on the shore of Lake Max until a forest fire destroyed much of the available timber. It continued operations to the north.
Daggard's Store
This store was technically in North Dakota, but it was closer for the Metigoshe Metis Community to buy staple groceries here than to go to Deloraine.
First Oil Well
(1949) The first oil well of the region was drilled here.
Butterfield
(1880-1906) Butterfield served as a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail and later (1884) as the area's first post office. The building for the office was the home of Dr. Dann, a veterinarian.
CNR Continues
The Canadian National Railway continued east, linking the communities along the CNR Wakopa Subdivision with Greenway and eventually Winnipeg.
Turtle Mountain All Season Resort
Cabins and suites available for rent on the shore of Lake Metigoshe. Store, restaurant and gas station. PHONE: 204-747-3919 VISIT: http://www.turtlemountainresort.ca/
Country Garden Inn Bed and Breakfast
Private guesthouse with century decor. Includes homecooked meals. In Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-3133
Deloraine Motor Inn
208 Finlay Ave E, Deloraine. 11 rooms available, cable TV, Internet access for laptops in each room. PHONE: 204-747-2076
Lizzie Lake Station
A vacation property nestled in the Turtle Mountains near Lake Metigoshe. The building used to be the CPR station at Lyleton. PHONE: 204-748-3681 VISIT: http://www.lizzielakestation.com/
Country Cafe @ Deloraine Motor Inn
208 Finlay Ave E, Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2096
Deloraine Co-op Food Centre
Phone: 204-747-2316
The Bargain Shop
Downtown Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2447
Waskada Genesis Inn
Rooms available for reasonable rates. PHONE: 204-673-2690
Melita by the River Motel
Hwy 3, E of Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3261 EMAIL: melitamotelbytheriver@hotmail.com
Melita Inn Motor Hotel
41 Front St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3336
Chicken Chef, Melita
9 Boundary St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-2484
Happy Chopstick Restaurant
148 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3966
Melita Bakery
126 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3352
Sub Factory
Homemade and delicious subs and wraps! 139 Front Street. PHONE: 204-522-8864
A.F. Jensen Trophy Room
A collection of trophy-hunted animals from around the world. Located beside the Antler River Historical Museum in Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3438
Heritage Restaurant
Built by the community, for the community, stop by this local hang-out for a bite to eat. PHONE: 204-634-2384
Co-op Cardlock
Co-op Cardlock in Pierson.
Deloraine Co-op Gas Bar
Cardlock and full service gas bar, Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2226
Dakota – Assiniboine Battle: Napinka
(1830) A battle between the Dakota and Assiniboine occurred northeast of present-day Napinka in 1830.
River Park RV Campground
East of Hwy 83 in Melita, in a treed location. PHONE:204-522-3413 VISIT: http://www.melitamb.ca/index.php?pageid=426
Sourisford Park Campground
Located in the Heritage-rich Souris River Valley, this is western Canada’s oldest campground, in use since 1882. Limited services. PHONE: 204-522-3263
Townsend Valley Golf Course
Fully licensed dining in the summer. 140 Townsend Dr., Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3820
Hole-in-One Cafe
Located in the golf course clubhouse, 7kms southeast of Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2411
American Fur Co. Company Fort
(1808-1828) The American Fur Company traded on the Souris River until their operations were shut down by Cuthbert Grant. The exact location of this fort is unknown.
First Nations Occupation
The remains of a large First Nations occupation were found here, including human bones and flint artifacts. Date unknown.
McBurney Site – Trading Post
The site of an old trading post. Artifacts such as musket balls, trading beads, broken dishware, a rusty knife and some native artifacts were turned up here as a result of cultivation.
Rendezvous Restaurant
Newly opened and refurnished in 2011. PHONE: 747-DINE or 747-3463
Harwood House
In Pierson, 12 Elmore St. PHONE: 204-634-2282
Sugar Shack
In Pierson, owned by Rob and Wendy Johns at 46 Latham Ave. PHONE: 204-634-2552
White Owl Gas Service
Located on the #3 Hwy in Melita. Convenience store attached (with ice cream!) PHONE: 204-522-3961.
Pierson Park
Primitive Services, donations accepted in lieu of camping fees, visit the municipal office. PHONE: 204-634-2231 EMAIL: rmedw@inethome.ca
Lyleton Park
Primitive Services, no fee, donations accepted visit or contact the RM of Edward municipal office PHONE: 204-634-2231. EMAIL: rmedw@inethome.ca
Edward Co-operative Grocery Store
76 Railway Ave, Pierson. PHONE: 204-634-2221
Petro Can Cardlock
Located on #83 Hwy through Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3202
Melita Frozen Foods
113 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3157 EMAIL: melitaff@mymts.net
Waskada Community Foods
A full line of grocery items, health and beauty products, cards and giftware and daily newspapers. HOURS: Mon-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm PHONE: 204-673-2295
Hartney Motor Inn
301 River Ave, Hartney. PHONE: 204-858-2525
Lauder Inn
Located in the small ghost town of Lauder, this coffeeshop is housed in the community’s old two room schoolhouse. Open sometimes 7 days a week, call for hours. 200 Lorne Ave, Lauder. PHONE: 204-858-2244
Barber School
(1886-1961)
Chain Lakes School
(1894-1917)
Grand Bend School
(1890-1946)
Grand Pre School
(1893-1919)
Lauder School
(At least 1893-1973) Old school house became town hall. "New" building is still used as a post office and coffee shop; the "Lauder" Inn. (2011)
Maple Hill School
(1914-1964)
Melgund School
(At least 1885-1962)
Swaffam School
(1884-1934)
Webb School
(At least 1884- about 1892) Webb School became Hartney School.
West Hall School
(1889-1958)
Whitewater School
(1884-1961)
Arthur School
(At least 1887-1957)
Hartney Consumer’s Co-op
Groceries and Bakery items. 201 E Railway St, Hartney PHONE: 204-858-2276
Hartney Lumber Supply
Gas pump and lumber supplies. 204 River Ave. PHONE: 204-858-2014
Little Patch of Heaven
A small bed and breakfast outside of Hartney within walking distance of the Souris River. Firepit, Guest Garden, etc. PHONE: 204-858-2226 EMAIL: littlepatchofheavenbb@yahoo.ca VISIT: http://www.bedandbreakfast.mb.ca/listing.php?id=littlepatch
A. R. Cafe
301 E Railway St, Hartney. PHONE: 204-858-2248
Red Door Cafe
Lunch specials, amazing pie! 237 E Railway St, Hartney. PHONE: 204-858-2313
“Wren” House Bed and Breakfast
Located between Coulter and Lyleton. PHONE: 204-649-2258
Belfry School #1
(1891-1896) In 1896 it moved to second location.
Purple Hill School
(At least 1887-1959) The first Purple Hill school burned down on June 28th, 1897. A new school built on the same site.
Bede School
(1914-1965)
Brown School
(1891-1958) In 1950 the "Old" School moved to Melita and a "New" one was erected on the same site.
Hernefield School #1
(1885-1918) In 1918 Hernefield moved to present location.
Chesterfield School #1
(1887-1902)
Peninsula School
(1901-1960)
Chesterfield School #2
(1902-1959) In 1902 Chesterfield moved from previous location to present location. The school was closed for a few years in the 30's.
Sourisford School
(At least 1899-1931)
Coulter School #1
(1915-1948) School moved in 1948.
Coulter School #2
(1948-1958) School moved from previous location to present location in 1948.
Coultervale School
(1889-1968) Became the community centre and still stands as of 1983.
Dobbyn School
(1899-1908)
Elva School #1
(1892-1898) In 1898 Elva School moved to the location of Elva School #2.
West Brenda School
(1882-1949) Closed from January 1936 to the fall of 1937.
Addington School
(1887-1959) Addington School had three different school buildings all on the same site.
Berry Hill School
(1897-1955)
Brownlo School
(October 31,1917 - January 1,1918)
Medora School
(1886-1975) In 1898 it moved to Medora. In 1914 the name changed from Burns to Medora.
Croydon School
(1895-1963)
Hernefield School #2
(1918-1958) In 1918 Hernefield moved from previous location to present location.
Lennox-Goodlands School
(1884-1975)
Menota School
(1888-1952)
Mimosa School
(1888-1949) Name changed to Waskada.
Otter School #1
(At least 1886-1966) The second school was built just south of the first one.
Princess School
(At least 1885-1958) In 1958 Princess School consolidated with Waskada.
Elva School #2
(1898-1974) In 1898 Elva School moved from previous location to present location.
Sherwood School
(1910-1958)
Tremblay School #1
(1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay School moved to present location.
Tremblay School #2
(1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay moved from previous location to present location.
Waterloo School
(1895-1967) Consolidated with Waskada in 1967.
Montefiore School #1
(1885-1966)
Beverly School #1
(1906-1946) In 1907 Beverly School moved to present location. In 1946 it consolidated with Tilston.
Beverly School #2
(1906-1946) In 1907 Beverly School moved from previous location to present location. In 1946 it consolidated with Tilston.
Copley School #1
(April 1895-1955) Copley School moved to present location about 1931/1932.
Copley School #2
(April 1895-1955) Copley school moved from previous location to present location about 1931/1932.
Pierson School
(At least 1892-Present)
Cuthbert School #1
(At least 1891- at least 1923) Cuthbert school moved to present location. Cuthbert school was also struck by lightning twice.
Cuthbert School #2
(At least 1891- at least 1923) Cuthbert school moved from previous location to present location.
Fulton School
(1919-1927) Opened again in February 1933, and then closed again in December 1933.
Lyleton School
(At least 1893-1971)
Roblin School
(At least 1899-1930's) Roblin school opened again in the mid 1940's and closed on June 30,1947.
Wicks School
(1909 - June 1953)
North Antler School #1
(1888-1951) North Antler School was closed from 1895-1897.
North Antler School #2
(1888-1951) Closed from 1895-1897. North Antler School moved from previous location to present location in about 1897/1898.
Brownlea School
(At least 1887-1966)
Bluevale School #1
(At least 1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved to present location.
Bluevale School #2
(1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved from previous location to present location.
East Lynn School
(1902-1966) Still there as of 1981.
Desford (Horton) School
(At least 1894/1895 - March 31st, 1966)
Dunallen School
(April 1,1902-1956)
Lake Max School
(1904-1968)
Maple Grove School
(At least 1883- June 1967) Building still stand on original site as of 1981.
Petersburg School
(1894-1967) New school was built in 1957. In 2000 it was purchased by Glenn Buhler and made into a restaurant - Windy Willows, which is closed now. Still standing as of 2012.
Primrose School
(About 1887-1968)
Rayfield School
(About 1891-1937)
Montefiore School #2
(1885-1966) Montefiore school moved from its previous location to present location.
Richview School
(1888-July 30th,1967)
Royal School
(November 28th,1887 - June 28th,1968)
Kirkwood School #2
(At least 1893-1963) Kirkwood was closed from 1921-1935 then again from 1949-1952. In 1938 Kirkwood moved from previous location to present location.
Wapaha School
(At least 1894-1966) In 1966 Wapaha School consolidated with Turtle Mountain Division. Wapaha means Whitewater.
Dand School
(1919-June 1970)
Wood Lake School
(August 1893-1966)
Bayview School
(At least 1886-1966)
Coxworth School
(At least 1914-June,1964) 1966 consolidated with Deloraine.
Eunola School #2
(1898-1962) In 1900 Eunola School moved from its first location to the second location, and then in 1918 it moved again to the third and present location.
Mountainside School #2
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Luther School
(1900-1918) Consolidated into Dand.
Deloraine School
(1884-Present) School was in operation at Old Deloraine for two years before it moved to present Deloraine.
Flossie School
(1904-1966)
Grove School
(May 23,1887 - 1921. Reopened from 1924-1966)
Kirkwood School #1
(At least 1893-1963) Kirkwood was closed from 1921-1935 then again from 1949-1952. In 1938 Kirkwood moved to the second school site.
Mountainside School #1
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside School moved to the second school location.
Regent School
(January 12, 1916 - June, 1959)
Thirlstane School #2
(Fall of 1887-1966) In 1908 Thirlstane School moved from previous location to present location.
Thirlstane School #1
(Fall of 1887-1966) In 1908 Thirlstane School moved second location.
Truro School #1
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Truro School #3
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Jubilee School
(September 11, 1957-1962)
Truro School #2
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Eunola School #1
(1898-1962) In 1900 Eunola School moved from its first location to the second location, and then in 1918 it moved again to the third and present location.
South Antler School #1
(1884-1914) South Antler School was destroyed in a fire and closed for a year. In 1915 it moved to the second and present location.
South Antler School #2
(1915-1954) In 1915 South Antler School moved from previous location to present location.
Napinka School
(1884-1975) Napinka School was closed from 1893-1894.
Errol School
(After 1882- about 1887)
Fern Hollow School
(1888-1889)
Caranton School #1
(1888-1945) Caranton was previously known as Nimitaw. The Caranton School District bought the old Nimitaw School building and moved it. And moved again twice in it's lifetime.
Caranton School #2
(1888-1945) Caranton School moved from previous location to the second school site.
Caranton School #3
(1888-1945) In 1903 Caranton School moved for the last time from the previous location to the third and present school site.
West Lake School #2
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved from previous location to 1/2 mile north to present location.
West Lake School #1
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved to second and present location.
Wassewa School
(1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.
Hazeldean School #1
(May 1, 1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from the first site to the second and present site.
Hazeldean School #2
(May 1,1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from previous location to present location.
Croll
(1914 – 1974) Croll was a station on the “Blue Flea” Line (CPR). Its Manitoba Pool elevator held 77 000 bushels.
Gros Ventre Village
(1812) A First Nations village once existed at the intersection of the South Antler and Souris Rivers.
Ninga Post Office
Began operating in 1884
L & F Campground
In Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3183, 204-522-8680 VISIT: http://www.campscout.com/campground/MB0131/
Pierson Campground
Durward St, Pierson. Five full service sites, 30 amp, water and sewer hookup. $20.00 per night. For monthly rates call number below. PHONE: 204-634-2231 EMAIL: rmedw@inethome.ca

Routes

Boiler Trail
(1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
Mandan Trail
The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.

Areas

George Morton's Cheese Project
(1882 – 1883) George Morton launched a cheese-making project west of Whitewater Lake. He may have been successful if he hadn't overlooked a couple key factors . . .