The Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway reached Adelpha in 1905 and went no further until 1914. Adelpha was a hub of commercial activity during this time.
Adelpha originated as a post office in the home of an early homesteader, John A. Hurt. He settled just to the north of the Turtle Mountain Forestry Reserve, right beside the Boundary Commission Trail. The word "Adelpha" takes after the name of local John R. Stuart's farm, which he named for the Greek word meaning "brotherly."
In 1905 the Canadian National Railway built a rail line heading southwest from Greenway (In the R.M. of Argyle) into southwest Manitoba. In that year the railway was built from Neelin to Turtle Mountain. The rail reached as far as the section to the northwest of Hurt's home and stopped there. The train station was named Adelpha and built on that section.
At the “end of the line” Adelpha became a commercial hub and center. It served as a neighbourhood shipping point. A “Y” was built at Adelpha for turning trains around so that they could head back east. Adelpha was the largest transportation center until 1914 when the CNR extended the Greenway Branch to reach Deloraine.
. . . . .
Author: Teyana Neufeld
Boissevain History Committee. Beckoning Hills Revisited “Ours is a Goodly Heritage” Morton Boissevain 1881—1981. Altona: Friesen Printing, 1981. pp 325.
MG1/B4. Boundary Commission Trail Fonds. Boissevain Community Archives.