Boundary Commission Trail
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
(1880 – 1893) During its thirteen years of operation, the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office settled 1,200,000 acres of prairie land.
(1882 - 1886) Old Deloraine was established just north of the Land Titles Office, but moved when the railway came through the area.
(1877—1886) The first town in the southwest. Bernard B. LaRiviere established a home and store which serviced the first settlers coming west along the Boundary Commission Trail.
It was well known to travellers of the prairies where the best place to cross the Souris River was: Sourisford.
(1880 - 1882) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
(Pre 1600 - 1882) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first "highway" to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Metis on bison hunts and Europeans looking for rich farmland.
Other Features Nearby
The Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway reached Adelpha in 1905 and went no further until 1914. Adelpha was a hub of commercial activity during this time.
(1808-1828) The American Fur Company traded on the Souris River until their operations were shut down by Cuthbert Grant. The exact location of this fort is unknown.
(At least 1887-1964)
(1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1873) The Boundary Commissioner Trail is still visible in this location. It is used by a local farmer to run cattle down to the Souris River.
(1880-1906) Butterfield served as a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail and later (1884) as the area's first post office. The building for the office was the home of Dr. Dann, a veterinarian.
The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
(1879) The first lignite coal to be discovered in Manitoba occurred nearby Wakopa.
(1914 – 1961) Coatstone was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
Coulter Park is the site of the longest running annual picnic. Ever since 1882 it has been used as a recreational facility.
Lyleton received service by rail in 1902, two years after the railway reached Waskada.
After much hard work, locals in Waskada convinced the CPR to build a rail line southwest of Deloraine. It reached as far as Waskada in 1900.
The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
(At least 1894/1895 - March 31st, 1966)
(1880) Dodd's Store (operated by Mr. Kingdon in 1885) was the first store on the site of what would become the community of Adelpha. The store was a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1920s-1960s) A pair of Métis brothers lived out their lives on this quarter section.
(1879) Two brothers, Oliver and Herb Smith, were the first permanent homesteaders in the south-west, before the section, township and range system of surveying the land was implemented.
(1881 – 1884) Thomas L. Fox was an early settler in the Wakopa area. He received a logging licence early in 1881.
(1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
(1812) A First Nations village once existed at the intersection of the South Antler and Souris Rivers.
(May 23,1887 - 1921. Reopened from 1924-1966)
(1931 – 1933) The Hainsworth Mine was operated by the Deloraine Coal Company for two years.
(1914 – 1961) Hazeldean was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
(May 1, 1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from the first site to the second and present site.
(1880) This Hudson's Bay Company post was managed by Agent C. Burns.
Located in the golf course clubhouse, 7kms southeast of Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2411
(1905-1960s) A small community grew around this CNR railway station.
The CPR Lyleton Branch line reaching west from Deloraine terminated at Lyleton.
Primitive Services, no fee, donations accepted visit or contact the RM of Edward municipal office PHONE: 204-634-2231. EMAIL: email@example.com
The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
(1893) Mr. Duncan McArthur supplied coal from this mine to a local market for a few years. In the 1930s it was re-opened before being permanently closed.
(1888-1949) Name changed to Waskada.
(1880 – 1885) Montifiore began as a stopping place on the Boundary Commission Trail. A rural school and gravel road were named after it.
(1885-1966) Montefiore school moved from its previous location to present location.
(1914 – 1961) Mountainside was an early prairie community and a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian Northern Railway.
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Newcomb's Hollow is a pretty spot where a small interpretive centre for the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office has been built with a replica of the old Office.
(1888-1951) North Antler School was closed from 1895-1897.
(1888-1951) Closed from 1895-1897. North Antler School moved from previous location to present location in about 1897/1898.
(1882 – 1886) Old Deloraine was established just north of the Land Titles Office, but moved when the railway came through the area.
(1881) The area's very first permanent pioneers were laid to rest in this scenic cemetery.
(1880 – 1886) Homesteaders in southwestern Manitoba had to first make their way to the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office, managed by George Newcomb, to register land claims.
(1877 – 1886) The first town in the southwest. Bernard B. LaRiviere established a home and store which serviced the first settlers coming west along the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1880) The Old Wakopa Cemetery is the resting place of some of the earliest homesteaders of the Turtle Mountain region.
(1885) George Morton established a store and stopping place at this location. The store was moved to the present site of Boissevain where it became the town's first building.
(1880) The early Dominion Government placed four shelters at this spot for the convenience of travellers. It became a regular stopping place for settlers heading west.
Settle into the cozy straw bale guesthouse or more rustic pond house for a relaxed Turtle Mountain getaway. Phone: 1-204-534-2303 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Visit: http://www.roomtogrow.info
Skull Swamp is an example of the ingenuity possessed by post glacial societies in their bison hunting techniques and how they used the existing landscape to their advantage.
(1610 +/- 130) Excavations at this site lend considerable weight to the idea of pre-European horticultural activity in south-west Manitoba
(1882 – 1916) A few real estate agents sold lots trying to promote the town of Sourisapolis, but a town was never built here.
A long history surrounds this Souris River crossing place. Where the Boundary Commission Trail crossed the river is still visible.
(900 – 1400 AD) Artifacts from these thousand year-old burial mounds indicate the trade relations that existed upon the plains before convenient modes of transportation.
Located in the Heritage-rich Souris River Valley, this is western Canada’s oldest campground, in use since 1882. Limited services. PHONE: 204-522-3263
(1915-1954) In 1915 South Antler School moved from previous location to present location.
Several tipi rings on this site suggest a First Nations camp was once located here.
Early cultures used this place as a stopping place and ceremonial center. It was a convenient place to cross the Long River.
(1885 – 1958) Verona School served as a schoolhouse and early community centre.
(1886 – 1960s) Old Wakopa moved to this location to be at the crux of two rail lines: the Canadian National and Great Northern.
(1914 – 1961) Wassewa became the name of a train station on the Canadian National Railway, located nearby the Wassewa stopping place established by George Morton.
(1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved to second and present location.
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved from previous location to 1/2 mile north to present location.
Located between Coulter and Lyleton. PHONE: 204-649-2258
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.
- Publicly Accessible
Note: Some remnants of the trail exist that are accessible by the public. See Newcomb's Hollow.
- Unknown or Not Applicable