CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Deloraine
The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
There are no stories published for this geoitem.
Other Features Nearby
The Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway reached Adelpha in 1905 and went no further until 1914. Adelpha was a hub of commercial activity during this time.
(At least 1887-1964)
(1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
(1873) The Boundary Commissioner Trail is still visible in this location. It is used by a local farmer to run cattle down to the Souris River.
The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
(1879) The first lignite coal to be discovered in Manitoba occurred nearby Wakopa.
(1914 – 1961) Coatstone was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
208 Finlay Ave E, Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2096
Private guesthouse with century decor. Includes homecooked meals. In Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-3133
After much hard work, locals in Waskada convinced the CPR to build a rail line southwest of Deloraine. It reached as far as Waskada in 1900.
The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
(1892) Work on a rail line past Deloraine was finally started, and headed to Napinka which displeased farmers in Melita.
(1886-Present) The town of Old Deloraine relocated to this location to be on along the railroad.
Cardlock and full service gas bar, Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2226
Located ¼ mile E of Hwy 21, in Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2677 or 204-747-2416 VISIT: http://www.campscout.com/campground/MB0119/
208 Finlay Ave E, Deloraine. 11 rooms available, cable TV, Internet access for laptops in each room. PHONE: 204-747-2076
(1884-Present) School was in operation at Old Deloraine for two years before it moved to present Deloraine.
(At least 1894/1895 - March 31st, 1966)
(1880) Dodd's Store (operated by Mr. Kingdon in 1885) was the first store on the site of what would become the community of Adelpha. The store was a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1920s-1960s) A pair of Métis brothers lived out their lives on this quarter section.
(1879) Two brothers, Oliver and Herb Smith, were the first permanent homesteaders in the south-west, before the section, township and range system of surveying the land was implemented.
(1881 – 1884) Thomas L. Fox was an early settler in the Wakopa area. He received a logging licence early in 1881.
(1882 – 1883) George Morton launched a cheese-making project west of Whitewater Lake. He may have been successful if he hadn't overlooked a couple key factors . . .
(May 23,1887 - 1921. Reopened from 1924-1966)
(1914 – 1961) Hazeldean was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
(May 1, 1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from the first site to the second and present site.
(May 1,1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from previous location to present location.
Located in the golf course clubhouse, 7kms southeast of Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2411
(1905-1960s) A small community grew around this CNR railway station.
Downtown Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-6373
(1914 – 1961) Leige was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway Line.
The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
(1914 – 1961) Mountainside was an early prairie community and a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian Northern Railway.
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Newcomb's Hollow is a pretty spot where a small interpretive centre for the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office has been built with a replica of the old Office.
(1882 – 1886) Old Deloraine was established just north of the Land Titles Office, but moved when the railway came through the area.
(1881) The area's very first permanent pioneers were laid to rest in this scenic cemetery.
(1880 – 1886) Homesteaders in southwestern Manitoba had to first make their way to the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office, managed by George Newcomb, to register land claims.
(1885) George Morton established a store and stopping place at this location. The store was moved to the present site of Boissevain where it became the town's first building.
(1896 –Present) The Prairie Skills building has come through many incarnations since it was built to serve as a Catholic church.
(1801 – 1870s) A replica of a Red River Cart sits in the Deloraine Park. The Red River Cart was specifically designed to suit the fur trade. Its squeaky wheels carved deep trails into the prairie landscape of the 1800s.
Newly opened and refurnished in 2011. PHONE: 747-DINE or 747-3463
Settle into the cozy straw bale guesthouse or more rustic pond house for a relaxed Turtle Mountain getaway. Phone: 1-204-534-2303 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Visit: http://www.roomtogrow.info
Skull Swamp is an example of the ingenuity possessed by post glacial societies in their bison hunting techniques and how they used the existing landscape to their advantage.
Downtown Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2447
(1914 – 1961) Wassewa became the name of a train station on the Canadian National Railway, located nearby the Wassewa stopping place established by George Morton.
(1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.