CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Adelpha
The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
There are no stories published for this geoitem.
Other Features Nearby
The Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway reached Adelpha in 1905 and went no further until 1914. Adelpha was a hub of commercial activity during this time.
(1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
The Canadian National Railway continued east, linking the communities along the CNR Wakopa Subdivision with Greenway and eventually Winnipeg.
The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
(1879) The first lignite coal to be discovered in Manitoba occurred nearby Wakopa.
The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
(1880) Dodd's Store (operated by Mr. Kingdon in 1885) was the first store on the site of what would become the community of Adelpha. The store was a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
(1880) This Hudson's Bay Company post was managed by Agent C. Burns.
(1877 – 1886) The first town in the southwest. Bernard B. LaRiviere established a home and store which serviced the first settlers coming west along the Boundary Commission Trail.
(1880) The early Dominion Government placed four shelters at this spot for the convenience of travellers. It became a regular stopping place for settlers heading west.
Skull Swamp is an example of the ingenuity possessed by post glacial societies in their bison hunting techniques and how they used the existing landscape to their advantage.
Early cultures used this place as a stopping place and ceremonial center. It was a convenient place to cross the Long River.
(1886 – 1960s) Old Wakopa moved to this location to be at the crux of two rail lines: the Canadian National and Great Northern.
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved to second and present location.
(1885-1961) In 1918 West Lake School moved from previous location to 1/2 mile north to present location.