Items Listed by Category: Generic Item
- Hartney Campground
- Located next to the pool and playground in Hartney.
PHONE: In summer: 204-858-2167. Otherwise: 204-858-2429.
- Billy's Point
- (1930s) Billy Gosselin's home became a meeting place and dance hall for the Metigoshe Métis Community.
- Harwood House
- In Pierson, 12 Elmore St.
- Sugar Shack
- In Pierson, owned by Rob and Wendy Johns at 46 Latham Ave.
- White Owl Gas Service
- Located on the #3 Hwy in Melita. Convenience store attached (with ice cream!) PHONE: 204-522-3961.
- Pierson Park
- Primitive Services, donations accepted in lieu of camping fees, visit the municipal office.
- Lyleton Park
- Primitive Services, no fee, donations accepted visit or contact the RM of Edward municipal office PHONE: 204-634-2231. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edward Co-operative Grocery Store
- 76 Railway Ave, Pierson. PHONE: 204-634-2221
- Petro Can Cardlock
- Located on #83 Hwy through Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3202
- Melita Frozen Foods
- 113 Main St, Melita.
- Waskada Community Foods
- A full line of grocery items, health and beauty products, cards and giftware and daily newspapers.
HOURS: Mon-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm
- Hartney Motor Inn
- 301 River Ave, Hartney.
- Hart-Cam Museum
- The old general store that houses the Hart-Cam Museum has been a movie set for two Hollywood films.
- Lauder Inn
- Located in the small ghost town of Lauder, this coffeeshop is housed in the community’s old two room schoolhouse. Open sometimes 7 days a week, call for hours. 200 Lorne Ave, Lauder.
- Hartney Consumer’s Co-op
- Groceries and Bakery items. 201 E Railway St, Hartney
- Hartney Lumber Supply
- Gas pump and lumber supplies. 204 River Ave. PHONE: 204-858-2014
- Little Patch of Heaven
- A small bed and breakfast outside of Hartney within walking distance of the Souris River. Firepit, Guest Garden, etc.
- A. R. Cafe
- 301 E Railway St, Hartney.
- Red Door Cafe
- Lunch specials, amazing pie! 237 E Railway St, Hartney.
- “Wren” House Bed and Breakfast
- Located between Coulter and Lyleton.
- Grove School
- (May 23,1887 - 1921. Reopened from 1924-1966)
- Napinka School
- (1884-1975) Napinka School was closed from 1893-1894.
- Hazeldean School #2
- (May 1,1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from previous location to present location.
- (1914 – 1974) Croll was a station on the “Blue Flea” Line (CPR). Its Manitoba Pool elevator held 77 000 bushels.
- Gros Ventre Village
- (1812) A First Nations village once existed at the intersection of the South Antler and Souris Rivers.
- L & F Campground
- In Melita.
PHONE: 204-522-3183, 204-522-8680
- Pierson Campground
- Durward St, Pierson. Five full service sites, 30 amp, water and sewer hookup. $20.00 per night. For monthly rates call number below.
- Ash House
- (1795 – 1797) Ash House was likely the first fur trading post built on the Souris River.
- (1898 – 1961) Argue was known as "Trackend" for a year as it was the most westerly station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway until 1900 when the line continued to Hartney and Virden.
- Bolton's Sawmill
- (1880 – 1881) Mr. Bolton established a sawmill on the north shore of Lake Max. It was bought by George Morton the next year.
- Beckoning Hills Museum
- Look at life through the eyes of a prairie pioneer at the Beckoning Hills Museum.
- Boundary Trail Visible - Sourisford
- (1873) The Boundary Commissioner Trail is still visible in this location. It is used by a local farmer to run cattle down to the Souris River.
- American Fur Trading Co. Fort
- (1810 – 1828) There were two fur trading posts on the Souris River run by the American Fur Trading Company. The exact location of the other one is unknown.
- Alston Site – Old Trading Post
- (Late 1700s) The log foundations of a fur trading post were discovered at this site in 1937. This was one of two posts that were located on the south side of the Souris River as opposed to the north.
- Assiniboine Tents
- (1738) La Verendrye was the first European to cross the plains and in 1738 he came across a collection of 101 Assiniboine tents along Cherry Creek.
- (1908 – 1936) Alcester was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line.
- (1885 – Present) Cherry Creek was the name of this town before the CPR came through and renamed it after a Dutch financier.
- (1886 - ) Cadzow was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
- Coal Discovered-1879
- (1879) The first lignite coal to be discovered in Manitoba occurred nearby Wakopa.
- Veva's Diner
- A newer, bigger building built in 2011. 513 Mill Rd, Boissevain.
- (1914 – 1961) Coatstone was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
- Garrioch's Post
- (1840 – 1845) Peter Garrioch was an independent fur trader, and a bitter rival to the H.B.C. And N. W. Co. Some of his trade was no doubt illegal.
- Canada Creek
- The Forestry Reserve game wardens chose to turn their heads the other direction when it came to the fishing practices of the Metis living around Metigoshe Lake.
- (1902 – 1996) Cameron was a stop on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
- Buck's Hill: Dakota-Assiniboine Battle
- (1820s and 1830s) The Dakota and Assiniboine met in this region for a battle.
- Dakota Camp after the Battle of Little Bighorn
- (1876) After the Battle of Little Bighorn in South Dakota, the victorious Dakota camped temporarily on the western end of Turtle Mountain in Canada.
- Deep Ravine (McLeod) Mine
- (1931 – 1933) The Mcleod Coal Mine operated for two years, run by a pair of spirited men from Wales.
- (1886-Present) The town of Old Deloraine relocated to this location to be on along the railroad.
- Fairburn “Park”
- A small plot of land is set aside where the rail bed of the Great Northern Railway crosses the present-day No. 3 Highway. This was the location of the Fairburn train station.
- First Settler Shanty in Southwest Manitoba
- (1879) Two brothers, Oliver and Herb Smith, were the first permanent homesteaders in the south-west, before the section, township and range system of surveying the land was implemented.
- Bigway Foods
- 117 Main St, Melita.
PHONE: 204-522-3362 or 204-522-3366
- Fort Desjarlais
- (1836 – 1858) The independently run Fort Desjarlais was the largest and most successful of the Souris River Fur Trading Forts.
- Fort Mr. Grant
- (1824 – 1861) Cuthbert Grant established this fort on the Souris River on behalf of the HBC to keep illegal operations from diverting business away from the company.
- First Métis Homestead
- (1908) The first permanent Métis settler in the Turtle Mountain area was Louis McLeod who settled within a mile from the US-Canadian border. This was the beginning of the Metigoshe Métis Community.
- Coulter Park
- Coulter Park is the site of the longest running annual picnic. Ever since 1882 it has been used as a recreational facility.
- (1902 – 1970) Dalny was a station on the CPR’s Lyleton Subdivision branch line.
- Dakota – Assiniboine Battle
- (1849) A battle between the Dakota and Assiniboine occurred on this site.
- Dakota-Assiniboine Battle - Souris River
- (1793) The Dakota were opposed to the fur trade in the Souris basin and wanted the Assiniboine to stop trading with the fur traders. During a battle held in this approximate location, the Dakota wiped out an entire Assiniboine village.
- (1908 – 1936) Fairburn was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line from St. John North Dakota to Brandon, Manitoba.
- Dodd's Store
- (1880) Dodd's Store (operated by Mr. Kingdon in 1885) was the first store on the site of what would become the community of Adelpha. The store was a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail.
- (1900 – 1996) Cranmer was a stop on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
- Grande Clairière Convent
- (1898 – 1923) The Grande Clairière Convent was the home of six nuns and about 40 boarding house students at a time.
- Grande Clairière Station
- (1905 – 1961) When the railroad finally reached Grande Clairière, the station was established north of town.
- H.B.C. Post
- (1880) This Hudson's Bay Company post was managed by Agent C. Burns.
- H.B.C. Post - Whitewater
- (1802-1805) The Hudson Bay Company operated a winter fur trading post south of Whitewater Lake for a few years. It was not a success and was soon abandoned.
- Hainsworth Mine
- (1931 – 1933) The Hainsworth Mine was operated by the Deloraine Coal Company for two years.
- (1914 – 1961) Hazeldean was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
- Henderson Mine
- (1932 – 1943) The Henderson Coal Mine operated for a solid 11 years and provided coal to locals of the area.
- Independent Fur Trading Post - Melita
- (1849) The exact location of this fort close to present-day Melita is unknown.
- Independent Fur Trading Post - Metigoshe
- (1818 – 1850) An independent fur trader set up a post south of Lake Metigoshe.
- Independent Fur Trading Post - Napinka
- (1846) An independent trader who was believed to come from Turtle Mountain set up a post in the Napinka area.
- (1882 – Present) Hartney is a town with a vibrant history, pleasant present and bright future!
- Lauder Sandhills
- (10,000 BC - Present) The unique environment provided by the Lauder Sandhills attracted bison, which appealed to the early peoples who came to camp and live there.
- (1913 – 1962) Hathaway was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” Line of the CPR.
- Irvin Goodon Wildlife Museum
- A collection of 300 full-mount animals from North America and New Zealand set in interactive, natural scenes.
- Fox Sawmill
- (1881 – 1884) Thomas L. Fox was an early settler in the Wakopa area. He received a logging licence early in 1881.
- Hoysun Chinese Restaurant
- Downtown Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-6373
- Kentner's Great Northern Railway Museum
- Bill Kentner houses a Great Northern Railway Museum in his back yard northeast of Boissevain. He welcomes phone-ahead tours by donation.
- (1914 – 1961) Leige was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway Line.
- (1892 - ?) Leighton was the name of a train station on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
- Lena House: Possible Location
- (1801 – 1802) Lena House was one of the only fur trading forts established on Turtle Mountain. Its location has never been conclusively determined.
- Louis McLeod Homestead
- (1908) Louis McLeod's log home was probably the first permanent Metis settlement on Turtle Mountain.
- Magwood Site – Independent Trading Post
- The remains of a very old independent trading post were found here in the 1940s. It is unknown when exactly it operated.
- Mandan Trail Viewpoint
- Take in a gentle view over the prairie towards Whitewater Lake from a point on the now obliterated Mandan Trail.
- Manitoba Coal Co. Operations
- (1889 – 1891) The Manitoba Coal Co. operations were less successful than originally dreamed.
- McArthur Mine
- (1893) Mr. Duncan McArthur supplied coal from this mine to a local market for a few years. In the 1930s it was re-opened before being permanently closed.
- McCharles Cabin
- (1940s) This tiny cabin was the vibrant home for Roy and Maggie McCharles and their 10 children.
- Menota Post Office
- Mandan-Assiniboine Battle
- (1780) Spurred on by the Dakota, the Mandans waged several battles against the Assiniboine. This was closely following the dissolution of an alliance between the Mandan and the Assiniboine.
- McKay Mine
- (1904) McKay Coal Mine.
- Lennox Post Office
- (1886 - ?) Lennox Post Office
- Lennox Mine
- (1883) The Lennox Coal Mine was the first commercial coal mine in Manitoba. It's location is not exact.
- Lorna Smith Nature Reserve
- This protected prairie hilltop above the Boissevain reservoir is often covered with prairie flowers. It is a peaceful spot to observer the surrounding wildlife.
- Métis Bison Hunt - Chain Lakes
- (1850) A bison hunt took place between Whitewater Lake and the Chain Lakes. It involved 1000 Red River Carts. Cutting up the carcasses after the hunt took eight days.
- Métis Bison Hunt - Souris River
- (1840) Red River Métis hunted bison along the Souris River south of Melita
- Métis Bison Hunter Stopping Places
- (After 1830) The Chain Lakes provided a convenient stopping place for Red River Métis Bison hunters moving between Turtle Mountain, Whitewater and the Lauder Sandhills.
- Métis Bison Hunts - Lauder Sandhills
- (1837) A group of Métis bison hunters from St. Francois Xavier hunted bison in the Lauder Sandhills for several years.
- Métis Settlement
- (1860s) A Métis settlement was established on the north shore of Whitewater Lake. It lasted fifteen years before being abandoned.
- Métis Trading Post
- (1840s) A Métis fur trading post operated here on the Souris River for a short time in the 1840s.
- Newcomb's Hollow
- Newcomb's Hollow is a pretty spot where a small interpretive centre for the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office has been built with a replica of the old Office.
- North West Co. Post
- (1802-1805) The North West Fur Trading Company set up a post only a few miles from their rivals, the HBC.
- Old Deloraine Land Titles Office
- (1880 – 1886) Homesteaders in southwestern Manitoba had to first make their way to the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office, managed by George Newcomb, to register land claims.
- Old Wassewa
- (1885) George Morton established a store and stopping place at this location. The store was moved to the present site of Boissevain where it became the town's first building.
- (1913 – 1962) The McCabe elevator at this CPR station had a 55,000 bushel capacity, the largest on the "Blue Flea" Line.
- (1886 - ?) Naples was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
- Pancake Lake
- (1880) The early Dominion Government placed four shelters at this spot for the convenience of travellers. It became a regular stopping place for settlers heading west.
- Powne Mine
- (1933 – 1935) The Powne mine had an excellent quality of coal and was mined by the Powne family for at least two seasons.
- Red River Cart
- (1801 – 1870s) A replica of a Red River Cart sits in the Deloraine Park. The Red River Cart was specifically designed to suit the fur trade. Its squeaky wheels carved deep trails into the prairie landscape of the 1800s.
- Salter Mine
- (1933 – 1938) The Salter mine operated as a rival to the neighbouring Henderson mine.
- Sam Smith Saw Mill
- Skull Swamp
- Skull Swamp is an example of the ingenuity possessed by post glacial societies in their bison hunting techniques and how they used the existing landscape to their advantage.
- Tipi Rings and Crossing
- Early cultures used this place as a stopping place and ceremonial center. It was a convenient place to cross the Long River.
- Turtle Mountain Post
- (1845, 1848 – 1855) For the latter years of its operation, this fur trading post was operated by the HBC's Antoine Desjarlais. The exact location of the post is unknown, though it may have replaced Lena House on the slope of Turtle Mountain.
- (1898 - ) The general store is all that remains of this community which grew around the train station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway.
- Vodon Mine
- (1885 – 1887) The Vodon Coal Mine was the first large-scale mining attempt.
- The Town of Pierson was incorporated in 1891.
- Sanger was a station of the CPR. The “Blue Flea” Line headed north from here.
- St. John, ND
- The Great Northern Railway connected St. John, North Dakota with Brandon, Manitoba.
- (1913 – 1962) The Manitoba Pool elevator at the train station held a 88,200 bushel capacity.
- (1914 – 1962) Shaffner was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” line of the CPR.
- Medicine Wheel
- A Medicine Wheel sits here on the edge of the Souris River Valley.
- Tipi Ring
- Several tipi rings on this site suggest a First Nations camp was once located here.
- R&M Value Foods
- 123 Main St, Melita.
- (1899 – Present) The first buildings in Waskada were a post office and grain elevator.
- (1914 – 1961) Wassewa became the name of a train station on the Canadian National Railway, located nearby the Wassewa stopping place established by George Morton.
- Whitewater Birding Area
- The Manitoba Department of Natural Resources, Turtle Mountain Conservation District and Ducks Unlimited Canada jointly developed a wildlife viewing facility adjacent to the newly completed Ducks Unlimited project at Whitewater Lake.
- X.Y. Fort
- (1795) The X.Y. Company was made up of disgruntled North West Co. Workers. This post was managed by Mr. Peter Grant and operated in opposition to the nearby N.W. Co. Ash Fort.
- Yellow Quill Trail – still visible
- The Yellow Quill trail is still visible in this location.
- Choy's Restaurant
- Delicious Chinese Food.
558 Stephen Street, Boissevain.
- Whitewater Lake
- Whitewater Lake was an important natural feature to yesterday's earliest peoples and provides a safe haven for today's birds and wildlife.
- Boissevain Bakery
- Breads, Cakes, Muffins, Cinnamon Buns, Cookies, Coffee and many other treats.
- Chicken Chef
- Located in the Home Hotel, 488 South Railway, Boissevain.
- Walkinshaw Place
- Peaceful bed and breakfast accommodation near Turtle Mountain Provincial Park.
- International Peace Garden Cafe
- Located in the new Peace Garden Interpretive centre, nearby the cactus garden.
Hours: 10:00am-5:00pm 7days a week
- International Peace Garden Campground
- Located inside the beautiful Peace Garden on the Canada / US border. Cafe, Souvenir shop and interpretive centre nearby.
- William Lake Campground
- Nearby beautiful Lake William and the popular Turtle’s Back hike.
- Adam Lake Campground
- Near Lake Adam and beach area.
- Room to Grow Greenhouse and Guesthouse
- Settle into the cozy straw bale guesthouse or more rustic pond house for a relaxed Turtle Mountain getaway.
- Max Lake Campground
- Nearby Lake Max and boat launch area.
- Sawmill Tea and Coffee Company
- The Sawmill serves a simple lunch, coffeehouse beverages and treats. Used book store, handmade items, pool table. Open late.
- Roscoe's Bar
- Friday night steak nights during the winter at Roscoe’s Bar are very worthwhile. 550 Mill Rd, Boissevain.
- The Loft Bed and Breakfast
- Phone: 1-204-534-8004
- Busy B Drive In
- Good fast food and ice cream on the north edge of Boissevain.
- Boissevain Campground
- Located next door to the swimming pool, ball diamonds and fair grounds.
- Deloraine Elks Campground
- Located ¼ mile E of Hwy 21, in Deloraine.
PHONE: 204-747-2677 or 204-747-2416
- Yellow Quill Trail Continues
- Yellowquill Trail continues west from this point. It meets up with the Carleton Trail at present-day Portage la Prairie.
- Boundary Consumer's Co-op
- 336 South Railway St, Boissevain.
- Gord's Service Station
- 300 South Railway St, Boissevain. Locally owned and operated.
- Country Corner Cafe
- Located in Ninga, drop in for a piece of pie!
- Silver Saddle Grill
- Located in Minto, 15 minutes north of Boissevain. Local hang-out, lunch, dinner and coffee. Phone: 204-776-2224
- Boissevain Farmer's Market
- “Romance by the Railroad Park,” South Railway St – Local farmers and craftspeople gather here every Friday from June 1st to September 30th. Lunch is served by a different community group every week. 11am - 1pm
- Boissevain Golf Course Clubhouse
- Just south of Boissevain off Hwy 10.
- Boundary Consumer Gas Bar and Convenience Store
- 578 Mill Rd. Home to Hotstuff Pizza and a full convenience store.
- Boissevain Consumer's Co-op Card-lock
- Hwy 10, just north of Boissevain
- Picnic Area by Canada Creek
- (Post 1908) A plot of land nearby Canada Creek was used as a ball field and picnic area by the Metigoshe Métis Community.
- Fletcher Store
- A small general store existed here for some time, it was owned by Fletcher Shillington, a bachelor.
- Hunter Blacksmith Shop
- A small blacksmith shop, perhaps 10’ by 10’ was opened by Archie Hunter who came from Ontario in 1890. He moved his business into Lauder when the railway was built.
- Lime Kiln
- (1890 - 1892) Lime Kiln. Not much is known about this site, other than that it existed. It is unknown whether it produced lime for local markets or for export.
- Alida, SK
- (1907 – Present) Alida was the terminus of the Lauder-Alida Branch of the CNR. In 2006 it had a population of 106 people.
- Cheese Factory
- (1895 - 1897) A Cheese Factory existed on this site for a short time. Milk was gathered from surrounding farms and made into cheese.
- Lauder Ferry
- (1892 – 1895) A raft made of trees and timbers served as a ferry across the Souris R. in the early days of settlement. It was operated by a pulley system and usually only in the spring when waters were high.
- Corner of Manitoba
- Manitoba’s borders were extended to reach the present-day Manitoba/Saskatchewan border in 1881.
- Morton Sawmill
- (1882 – 1988) George Morton bought this sawmill from Mr. Bolton. It sat on the shore of Lake Max until a forest fire destroyed much of the available timber. It continued operations to the north.
- Bison Rubbing Stone - Chain Lakes
- A bison rubbing stone north of the Chain Lakes
- Bison Rubbing Stone - Pierson
- A bison rubbing stone south of Pierson.
- Daggard's Store
- This store was technically in North Dakota, but it was closer for the Metigoshe Metis Community to buy staple groceries here than to go to Deloraine.
- Captain Large’s Blacksmith Shop
- (1903 - ) Captain Large built his steamship the “Empress of Ireland” in his Blacksmith shop in Coulter: South Antler Steelworks.
- Max Lake Recreation
- (1898 – Present) Max Lake has long been a holiday destination spot.
- First Oil Well
- (1949) The first oil well of the region was drilled here.
- CNR Continues
- The Canadian National Railway continued east, linking the communities along the CNR Wakopa Subdivision with Greenway and eventually Winnipeg.
- Proboscidean Tusk
- The ancient fossilized mammoth or mastodon tusk found at this site dates back over 33,000 years.
- CPR Continues
- The Canadian Pacific Railway continues east to connect with Winnipeg via Morden.
- Turtle Mountain All Season Resort
- Cabins and suites available for rent on the shore of Lake Metigoshe. Store, restaurant and gas station.
- Country Garden Inn Bed and Breakfast
- Private guesthouse with century decor. Includes homecooked meals. In Deloraine.
- Deloraine Motor Inn
- 208 Finlay Ave E, Deloraine. 11 rooms available, cable TV, Internet access for laptops in each room.
- Lizzie Lake Station
- A vacation property nestled in the Turtle Mountains near Lake Metigoshe. The building used to be the CPR station at Lyleton.
- Lake William
- (1880s) There is a unique story behind how this lake got its name.
- A long history surrounds this Souris River crossing place. Where the Boundary Commission Trail crossed the river is still visible.
- Country Cafe @ Deloraine Motor Inn
- 208 Finlay Ave E, Deloraine.
- Deloraine Co-op Food Centre
- Phone: 204-747-2316
- The Bargain Shop
- Downtown Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2447
- Waskada Genesis Inn
- Rooms available for reasonable rates.
- Melita by the River Motel
- Hwy 3, E of Melita.
- Melita Inn Motor Hotel
- 41 Front St, Melita.
- Chicken Chef, Melita
- 9 Boundary St, Melita.
- Happy Chopstick Restaurant
- 148 Main St, Melita.
- Melita Bakery
- 126 Main St, Melita.
- Sub Factory
- Homemade and delicious subs and wraps!
139 Front Street.
- A.F. Jensen Trophy Room
- A collection of trophy-hunted animals from around the world. Located beside the Antler River Historical Museum in Melita.
- Heritage Restaurant
- Built by the community, for the community, stop by this local hang-out for a bite to eat.
- Co-op Cardlock
- Co-op Cardlock in Pierson.
- Deloraine Co-op Gas Bar
- Cardlock and full service gas bar, Deloraine.
- Antler River Historical Society Museum
- Housed in a circa 1905 eight classroom schoolhouse, Melita's only museum is well laid out.
- Waskada Museum
- A collection of pioneer-era displays that fill six heritage buildings.
OPEN: Jul-Aug and by appointment.
ADMISSION: Adult-$4 Students-$2 Preschool-Free
PHONE: 204-673-2503, 204-673-2557
- (1891-Present) The community of Manchester became Melita when it moved to be beside the railway.
- CPR Continues West
- (1891 – Present) From Melita, the CPR railway continues west to Estecan, SK.
- CNR Continues East
- (1898-1961) This branch of the CNR Railway came to southwest Manitoba from Winnipeg, via Carmen.
- Dakota – Assiniboine Battle: Napinka
- (1830) A battle between the Dakota and Assiniboine occurred northeast of present-day Napinka in 1830.
- River Park RV Campground
- East of Hwy 83 in Melita, in a treed location.
- Sourisford Park Campground
- Located in the Heritage-rich Souris River Valley, this is western Canada’s oldest campground, in use since 1882. Limited services.
- Townsend Valley Golf Course
- Fully licensed dining in the summer. 140 Townsend Dr., Melita.
- Hole-in-One Cafe
- Located in the golf course clubhouse, 7kms southeast of Deloraine.
- Waskada Park
- Camping facilities are available in the Waskada Park.
- American Fur Co. Company Fort
- (1808-1828) The American Fur Company traded on the Souris River until their operations were shut down by Cuthbert Grant. The exact location of this fort is unknown.
- First Nations Occupation
- The remains of a large First Nations occupation were found here, including human bones and flint artifacts. Date unknown.
- McBurney Site – Trading Post
- The site of an old trading post. Artifacts such as musket balls, trading beads, broken dishware, a rusty knife and some native artifacts were turned up here as a result of cultivation.
- Chokecherry Junction Museum
- An award-winning model railway collection. Located in Boissevain beside Tommy Turtle.
- Moncur Gallery – People of the Plains
- The Moncur Gallery contains over 1000 artifacts, most of which local historian Mr. Bill Moncur picked up out of his field.
- Rendezvous Restaurant
- Newly opened and refurnished in 2011.
PHONE: 747-DINE or 747-3463
- CNR-Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Hartney
- (1900-1961) The Canadian National Railway was built past "Trackend" at Argue to reach Hartney from the east in 1900.
- CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Adelpha
- The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
- CNR Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Argue
- (1898 – 1961) The CNR was built as far as Argue in 1898. Argue was known as “Trackend” while the future course of the line was debated. Delegations from Deloraine, Waskada, Melita and Hartney lobbied for the route to go to their respective towns.
- CPR-Lyleton Branch to Waskada
- After much hard work, locals in Waskada convinced the CPR to build a rail line southwest of Deloraine. It reached as far as Waskada in 1900.
- CPR Lauder-Alida Branch to Alida
- (19011-1976) The CPR continued to Alida, SK in 1911.
- CPR-Pembina Branch to Boissevain
- The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
- Boiler Trail
- (1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
- CPR-Estevan Branch to Saskatchewan
- The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Melita in 1891 and continued to the Saskatchewan border.
- CPR-Pembina Branch to Deloraine
- The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
- Dunseith Trail
- (1920 – 1933) Rum-runners used the Dunseith Trail to smuggle illegal alcohol into North Dakota in the days of alcohol prohibition.
- CPR Lauder-Alida Branch
- (1905-1976) The CPR built west of Lauder as far as Broomhill then continued to Tilston the following summer. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
- CPR-Pembina Branch to Napinka
- (1892) Work on a rail line past Deloraine was finally started, and headed to Napinka which displeased farmers in Melita.
- Mandan Trail
- The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
- Yellow Quill Trail
- (Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.
- Great Northern Railway
- (1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
- CPR Lauder Branch
- (1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
- Boundary Commission Trail
- (Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
- CPR Lauder-Alida Branch to Tilston
- (1907-1976) The CPR from Lauder continued to Tilston in 1907. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
- CNR Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Virden
- (1905) The CNR built a bridge over the Souris River and reached Grande Clairière in the fall and Virden by Christmas.
- CPR-Estevan Branch to Hartney
- The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Hartney from Brandon in 1890.
- CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Deloraine
- The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
- CPR-Lyleton Branch to Lyleton
- Lyleton received service by rail in 1902, two years after the railway reached Waskada.
- George Morton's Cheese Project
- (1882 – 1883) George Morton launched a cheese-making project west of Whitewater Lake. He may have been successful if he hadn't overlooked a couple key factors . . .
- Ducharme Property
- (1920s-1960s) A pair of Métis brothers lived out their lives on this quarter section.
- Turtle Mountain Reserve IR60
- (1877 – 1913) Dakota Chief H'Damani convinced the government to grant him and his band a square mile of land on the slopes of Turtle Mountain – the smallest First Nation's Reserve in Canada.
- First Métis Homesteads
- (1908) Louis McLeod, Billy Gooselin and Elzear Racine came up from Belcourt and settled in the Turtle Mountain bush. These three quarter sections were the first homesteads that were the beginning of the Metigoshe Metis Community.