CPR-Estevan Branch to Saskatchewan
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Melita in 1891 and continued to the Saskatchewan border.
There are no stories published for this geoitem.
Other Features Nearby
A collection of trophy-hunted animals from around the world. Located beside the Antler River Historical Museum in Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3438
Housed in a circa 1905 eight classroom schoolhouse, Melita's only museum is well laid out.
301 E Railway St, Hartney. PHONE: 204-858-2248
(1795 – 1797) Ash House was likely the first fur trading post built on the Souris River.
117 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3362 or 204-522-3366
(1895 - 1897) A Cheese Factory existed on this site for a short time. Milk was gathered from surrounding farms and made into cheese.
9 Boundary St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-2484
(1900-1961) The Canadian National Railway was built past "Trackend" at Argue to reach Hartney from the east in 1900.
(1905) The CNR built a bridge over the Souris River and reached Grande Clairière in the fall and Virden by Christmas.
Co-op Cardlock in Pierson.
(1891 – Present) From Melita, the CPR railway continues west to Estecan, SK.
The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Hartney from Brandon in 1890.
(1905-1976) The CPR built west of Lauder as far as Broomhill then continued to Tilston the following summer. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
(1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
(1892) Work on a rail line past Deloraine was finally started, and headed to Napinka which displeased farmers in Melita.
(1849) A battle between the Dakota and Assiniboine occurred on this site.
(1793) The Dakota were opposed to the fur trade in the Souris basin and wanted the Assiniboine to stop trading with the fur traders. During a battle held in this approximate location, the Dakota wiped out an entire Assiniboine village.
(800 AD) A small surface collection from the Besant-Sonota culture was recovered at this site.
76 Railway Ave, Pierson. PHONE: 204-634-2221
(1891-Present) Elva was named after the first child to be born in the village.
(1898-1974) In 1898 Elva School moved from previous location to present location.
A small general store existed here for some time, it was owned by Fletcher Shillington, a bachelor.
(1824 – 1861) Cuthbert Grant established this fort on the Souris River on behalf of the HBC to keep illegal operations from diverting business away from the company.
148 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3966
The old general store that houses the Hart-Cam Museum has been a movie set for two Hollywood films.
(1882 – Present) Hartney is a town with a vibrant history, pleasant present and bright future!
Located next to the pool and playground in Hartney. PHONE: In summer: 204-858-2167. Otherwise: 204-858-2429. EMAIL: email@example.com VISIT: http://www.hartney.ca/default.asp?fxoid=FXMenu,3&ID=10&sub_ID=213&sub2_ID=135
Groceries and Bakery items. 201 E Railway St, Hartney PHONE: 204-858-2276
Gas pump and lumber supplies. 204 River Ave. PHONE: 204-858-2014
301 River Ave, Hartney. PHONE: 204-858-2525
In Pierson, 12 Elmore St. PHONE: 204-634-2282
Built by the community, for the community, stop by this local hang-out for a bite to eat. PHONE: 204-634-2384
A small blacksmith shop, perhaps 10’ by 10’ was opened by Archie Hunter who came from Ontario in 1890. He moved his business into Lauder when the railway was built.
(1849) The exact location of this fort close to present-day Melita is unknown.
(1846) An independent trader who was believed to come from Turtle Mountain set up a post in the Napinka area.
(1891) Two of the CPR lines met at Lauder in a “T” junction.
(1899 – Present) The Lauder Cemetery is extremely well kept.
Located in the small ghost town of Lauder, this coffeeshop is housed in the community’s old two room schoolhouse. Open sometimes 7 days a week, call for hours. 200 Lorne Ave, Lauder. PHONE: 204-858-2244
(At least 1893-1973) Old school house became town hall. "New" building is still used as a post office and coffee shop; the "Lauder" Inn. (2011)
In Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3183, 204-522-8680 VISIT: http://www.campscout.com/campground/MB0131/
(1881 – 1890) The town of Manchester moved to the railway when it came through the area and was renamed Melita.
Melgund Cemetery. Several headstones still exist on the site.
(1884 - 1899) The first post office in the area. Prior to its existence mail was brought from Brandon or Souris by anyone who happened to go there.
(At least 1885-1962)
(1891-Present) The community of Manchester became Melita when it moved to be beside the railway.
126 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3352
Hwy 3, E of Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3261 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
113 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3157 EMAIL: email@example.com
41 Front St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3336
(1886-Present) The old building is still in Melita housing the Melita Museum.
(1840s) A Métis fur trading post operated here on the Souris River for a short time in the 1840s.
(1500 BCE – 750 AD) A bison kill and processing site on the bank of the Souris.
(1891 – Present) At the crux of two railways, Napinka was at first thought destined to be a successful railway town.
(1884-1975) Napinka School was closed from 1893-1894.
Located on #83 Hwy through Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3202
The Town of Pierson was incorporated in 1891.
Durward St, Pierson. Five full service sites, 30 amp, water and sewer hookup. $20.00 per night. For monthly rates call number below. PHONE: 204-634-2231 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Primitive Services, donations accepted in lieu of camping fees, visit the municipal office. PHONE: 204-634-2231 EMAIL: email@example.com
(At least 1892-Present)
Lunch specials, amazing pie! 237 E Railway St, Hartney. PHONE: 204-858-2313
East of Hwy 83 in Melita, in a treed location. PHONE:204-522-3413 VISIT: http://www.melitamb.ca/index.php?pageid=426
123 Main St, Melita. PHONE: 204-522-8680
Homemade and delicious subs and wraps! 139 Front Street. PHONE: 204-522-8864
In Pierson, owned by Rob and Wendy Johns at 46 Latham Ave. PHONE: 204-634-2552
Fully licensed dining in the summer. 140 Townsend Dr., Melita. PHONE: 204-522-3820
(1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay School moved to present location.
(1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay moved from previous location to present location.
(September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Located on the #3 Hwy in Melita. Convenience store attached (with ice cream!) PHONE: 204-522-3961.
(1795) The X.Y. Company was made up of disgruntled North West Co. Workers. This post was managed by Mr. Peter Grant and operated in opposition to the nearby N.W. Co. Ash Fort.
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.
The Yellow Quill trail is still visible in this location.