The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River Forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
The Mandan Trail was a primary artery of travel and trade between the Assiniboine River forts and the Missouri River where the Mandan First Nations lived.
The Fur Trade on the Souris River flourished because of the proximity of grassland favoured by grazing bison. Pemmican made from these magestic beasts supported the rest of the fur trade.
Other Features Nearby
(1908 – 1936) Alcester was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line.
(1888-1929) The All Saints Church was established by a group of Church of England settlers. It served the area for over 30 years.
(At least 1887-1964)
(At least 1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved to present location.
(1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved from previous location to present location.
(1880 – 1885) The Boiler Trail provided a detour around the muddiest section of the Boundary Commission Trail.
(Pre 1600 - 1885) The Boundary Commission Trail was the first “highway” to the west, carrying First Nations to and fro, Métis on buffalo hunts and finally Europeans looking for rich farmland.
(1873) The Boundary Commissioner Trail is still visible in this location. It is used by a local farmer to run cattle down to the Souris River.
(At least 1887-1966)
(1886 - ) Cadzow was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
(1888-1945) Caranton School moved from previous location to the second school site.
(1888-1945) In 1903 Caranton School moved for the last time from the previous location to the third and present school site.
(1898 – 1961) The CNR was built as far as Argue in 1898. Argue was known as “Trackend” while the future course of the line was debated. Delegations from Deloraine, Waskada, Melita and Hartney lobbied for the route to go to their respective towns.
The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
(1914 – 1961) Coatstone was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
(1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
(1876) After the Battle of Little Bighorn in South Dakota, the victorious Dakota camped temporarily on the western end of Turtle Mountain in Canada.
(1879) Two brothers, Oliver and Herb Smith, were the first permanent homesteaders in the south-west, before the section, township and range system of surveying the land was implemented.
(1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
(1931 – 1933) The Hainsworth Mine was operated by the Deloraine Coal Company for two years.
(1914 – 1961) Hazeldean was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
(May 1, 1884-1966) Hazeldean School moved from the first site to the second and present site.
Located in the golf course clubhouse, 7kms southeast of Deloraine. PHONE: 204-747-2411
Take in a gentle view over the prairie towards Whitewater Lake from a point on the now obliterated Mandan Trail.
(1893) Mr. Duncan McArthur supplied coal from this mine to a local market for a few years. In the 1930s it was re-opened before being permanently closed.
(1914 – 1961) Mountainside was an early prairie community and a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian Northern Railway.
(1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Newcomb's Hollow is a pretty spot where a small interpretive centre for the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office has been built with a replica of the old Office.
(1882 – 1886) Old Deloraine was established just north of the Land Titles Office, but moved when the railway came through the area.
(1881) The area's very first permanent pioneers were laid to rest in this scenic cemetery.
(1880 – 1886) Homesteaders in southwestern Manitoba had to first make their way to the Old Deloraine Land Titles Office, managed by George Newcomb, to register land claims.
(1885) George Morton established a store and stopping place at this location. The store was moved to the present site of Boissevain where it became the town's first building.
(1913 – 1962) The McCabe elevator at this CPR station had a 55,000 bushel capacity, the largest on the "Blue Flea" Line.
(November 28th,1887 - June 28th,1968)
(1914 – 1962) Shaffner was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” line of the CPR.
(1892-1963) A charming cemetery on Turtle Mountain
(1892-1963) A collection of Belgian settlers built this church on Turtle Mountain.
(1914 – 1961) Wassewa became the name of a train station on the Canadian National Railway, located nearby the Wassewa stopping place established by George Morton.
(1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.
(Pre 1790 - 1886) The Yellow Quill Trail began as a trade route used by First Nations but served as a convenient avenue of travel for pioneering Europeans as well.