Features Listed by Theme: European Settlement: Post Railroad
Wassewa School (1891-1967) Closed from 1908-1915. Before the Wassewa School opened it's doors, school was held for five months in 1890 and 1891 on Mr. Morton's farm. Wassewa School was also known as Shanty School.
Alcester (1908 – 1936) Alcester was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line.
All Saint's Church (1888-1929) The All Saints Church was established by a group of Church of England settlers. It served the area for over 30 years.
Argue (1898 – 1961) Argue was known as "Trackend" for a year as it was the most westerly station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway until 1900 when the line continued to Hartney and Virden.
Bannerman (1905 – 1936) Bannerman served as the Canada Customs depot for travellers coming from North Dakota on the Great Northern Railway.
Boissevain (1885 – Present) Cherry Creek was the name of this town before the CPR came through and renamed it after a Dutch financier.
Bolton's Sawmill (1880 – 1881) Mr. Bolton established a sawmill on the north shore of Lake Max. It was bought by George Morton the next year.
Cadzow (1886 - ) Cadzow was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Cameron (1902 – 1996) Cameron was a stop on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Coatstone (1914 – 1961) Coatstone was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
Coulter (1901 – Present) Coulter was a station on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It grew into a small community.
Coulter Park Coulter Park is the site of the longest running annual picnic. Ever since 1882 it has been used as a recreational facility.
Cranmer (1900 – 1996) Cranmer was a stop on the Lyleton Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Croll (1914 – 1974) Croll was a station on the “Blue Flea” Line (CPR). Its Manitoba Pool elevator held 77 000 bushels.
Hathaway (1913 – 1962) Hathaway was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” Line of the CPR.
Dand (1913 – 1962) Dand was a station on the CPR's “Blue Flea” line which grew into a small community.
Deep Ravine (McLeod) Mine (1931 – 1933) The Mcleod Coal Mine operated for two years, run by a pair of spirited men from Wales.
Desford (1908 – 1936) Desford was the name of a station along the Great Northern Railway.
Elva (1891-Present) Elva was named after the first child to be born in the village.
Fairburn (1908 – 1936) Fairburn was a stop on the Great Northern Railway line from St. John North Dakota to Brandon, Manitoba.
Fairburn “Park” A small plot of land is set aside where the rail bed of the Great Northern Railway crosses the present-day No. 3 Highway. This was the location of the Fairburn train station.
Goodlands (1899 – Present) This village grew up around the train station on the CPR line that led southwest from Deloraine.
Grande Clairière (1888 – Present) A Catholic priest from France established a parish and community here.
Grande Clairière Convent (1898 – 1923) The Grande Clairière Convent was the home of six nuns and about 40 boarding house students at a time.
Grande Clairière Station (1905 – 1961) When the railroad finally reached Grande Clairière, the station was established north of town.
Hainsworth Mine (1931 – 1933) The Hainsworth Mine was operated by the Deloraine Coal Company for two years.
Hartney (1882 – Present) Hartney is a town with a vibrant history, pleasant present and bright future!
Hazeldean (1914 – 1961) Hazeldean was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway.
Henderson Mine (1932 – 1943) The Henderson Coal Mine operated for a solid 11 years and provided coal to locals of the area.
Kentner's Great Northern Railway Museum Bill Kentner houses a Great Northern Railway Museum in his back yard northeast of Boissevain. He welcomes phone-ahead tours by donation.
Lauder (1891) Two of the CPR lines met at Lauder in a “T” junction.
Leige (1914 – 1961) Leige was a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway Line.
Leighton (1892 - ?) Leighton was the name of a train station on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Lennox Post Office (1886 - ?) Lennox Post Office
Lorna Smith Nature Reserve This protected prairie hilltop above the Boissevain reservoir is often covered with prairie flowers. It is a peaceful spot to observer the surrounding wildlife.
Manitoba Coal Co. Operations (1889 – 1891) The Manitoba Coal Co. operations were less successful than originally dreamed.
Marsden School No. 1 (1908 – 1966) Marsden No. 1 was attended by children of European settlers living on the farmland to the north, whereas Marsden No. 2 was attended by Métis children living in the bush around Lake Metigoshe.
McArthur Mine (1893) Mr. Duncan McArthur supplied coal from this mine to a local market for a few years. In the 1930s it was re-opened before being permanently closed.
McKay Mine (1904) McKay Coal Mine.
Medora Medora was a village on the Canadian Pacific Railway between Deloraine and Napinka.
Mennonite Cemetery (1925 – 1968) The first cemetery of the Mennonite Church in southwest Manitoba.
Mennonite Church (1939 – 1960) Mennonites from Eastern Europe and Russia immigrated to the Whitewater area in 1923 and built this church.
Morton Sawmill (1882 – 1988) George Morton bought this sawmill from Mr. Bolton. It sat on the shore of Lake Max until a forest fire destroyed much of the available timber. It continued operations to the north.
Mountainside (1914 – 1961) Mountainside was an early prairie community and a stop on the Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian Northern Railway.
Napinka (1891 – Present) At the crux of two railways, Napinka was at first thought destined to be a successful railway town.
Naples (1886 - ?) Naples was a stop on the Pembina Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Old Deloraine Cemetery (1881) The area's very first permanent pioneers were laid to rest in this scenic cemetery.
Old Wakopa Cemetery (1880) The Old Wakopa Cemetery is the resting place of some of the earliest homesteaders of the Turtle Mountain region.
Orthez (1913 – 1962) The McCabe elevator at this CPR station had a 55,000 bushel capacity, the largest on the "Blue Flea" Line.
Powne Mine (1933 – 1935) The Powne mine had an excellent quality of coal and was mined by the Powne family for at least two seasons.
Regent (1913 – 1962) The Manitoba Pool elevator at the train station held a 88,200 bushel capacity.
Salter Mine (1933 – 1938) The Salter mine operated as a rival to the neighbouring Henderson mine.
Sanger Sanger was a station of the CPR. The “Blue Flea” Line headed north from here.
Schaffner (1914 – 1962) Shaffner was the name of a station on the “Blue Flea” line of the CPR.
St. John, ND The Great Northern Railway connected St. John, North Dakota with Brandon, Manitoba.
Strathallen School (1892 – 1966) The grounds of Strathallen School are still in occasional use today as a community gathering place and baseball field.
Underhill (1898 - ) The general store is all that remains of this community which grew around the train station on the Winnipeg-Carmen-Hartney Branch of the Canadian National Railway.
Verona School (1885 – 1958) Verona School served as a schoolhouse and early community centre.
Vodon Mine (1885 – 1887) The Vodon Coal Mine was the first large-scale mining attempt.
Wakopa (1886 – 1960s) Old Wakopa moved to this location to be at the crux of two rail lines: the Canadian National and Great Northern.
Waskada (1899 – Present) The first buildings in Waskada were a post office and grain elevator.
Whitewater Birding Area The Manitoba Department of Natural Resources, Turtle Mountain Conservation District and Ducks Unlimited Canada jointly developed a wildlife viewing facility adjacent to the newly completed Ducks Unlimited project at Whitewater Lake.
Whitewater Lake Whitewater Lake was an important natural feature to yesterday's earliest peoples and provides a safe haven for today's birds and wildlife.
Whitewater Village (1886 – 1960s) Whitewater village flourished on the shore of Whitewater Lake for over 75 years.
Wassewa (1914 – 1961) Wassewa became the name of a train station on the Canadian National Railway, located nearby the Wassewa stopping place established by George Morton.
Kirkwood School #2 (At least 1893-1963) Kirkwood was closed from 1921-1935 then again from 1949-1952. In 1938 Kirkwood moved from previous location to present location.
Mountainside School #1 (1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside School moved to the second school location.
Mountainside School #2 (1884-1967) In 1898 Mountainside moved from its previous location to a location next door to the Mountainside Store.
Regent School (January 12, 1916 - June, 1959)
Thirlstane School #1 (Fall of 1887-1966) In 1908 Thirlstane School moved second location.
Thirlstane School #2 (Fall of 1887-1966) In 1908 Thirlstane School moved from previous location to present location.
Truro School #1 (September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Truro School #2 (September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Truro School #3 (September 1st, 1886-1944) A few years after Truro School moved to the second location and then in 1917 it moved again to the third and present location.
Jubilee School (September 11, 1957-1962)
Eunola School #1 (1898-1962) In 1900 Eunola School moved from its first location to the second location, and then in 1918 it moved again to the third and present location.
Eunola School #2 (1898-1962) In 1900 Eunola School moved from its first location to the second location, and then in 1918 it moved again to the third and present location.
South Antler School #2 (1915-1954) In 1915 South Antler School moved from previous location to present location.
Fern Hollow School (1888-1889)
Caranton School #1 (1888-1945) Caranton was previously known as Nimitaw. The Caranton School District bought the old Nimitaw School building and moved it. And moved again twice in it's lifetime.
Caranton School #2 (1888-1945) Caranton School moved from previous location to the second school site.
Caranton School #3 (1888-1945) In 1903 Caranton School moved for the last time from the previous location to the third and present school site.
Adelpha The Wakopa Subdivision of the Canadian National Railway reached Adelpha in 1905 and went no further until 1914. Adelpha was a hub of commercial activity during this time.
Beckoning Hills Museum Look at life through the eyes of a prairie pioneer at the Beckoning Hills Museum.
Pierson The Town of Pierson was incorporated in 1891.
Lyleton The CPR Lyleton Branch line reaching west from Deloraine terminated at Lyleton.
Deloraine (1886-Present) The town of Old Deloraine relocated to this location to be on along the railroad.
Dalny (1902 – 1970) Dalny was a station on the CPR’s Lyleton Subdivision branch line.
Copley Church (1890-1913) The Copley Church was the first church of any denomination to be built west of the Souris River. Sadly, it only saw a few years of active use.
Alida, SK (1907 – Present) Alida was the terminus of the Lauder-Alida Branch of the CNR. In 2006 it had a population of 106 people.
Lauder Cemetery (1899 – Present) The Lauder Cemetery is extremely well kept.
Cheese Factory (1895 - 1897) A Cheese Factory existed on this site for a short time. Milk was gathered from surrounding farms and made into cheese.
Lauder Ferry (1892 – 1895) A raft made of trees and timbers served as a ferry across the Souris R. in the early days of settlement. It was operated by a pulley system and usually only in the spring when waters were high.
Corner of Manitoba Manitoba’s borders were extended to reach the present-day Manitoba/Saskatchewan border in 1881.
St. Paul's Church (1892-1963) A collection of Belgian settlers built this church on Turtle Mountain.
St. Paul's Cemetery (1892-1963) A charming cemetery on Turtle Mountain
Daggard's Store This store was technically in North Dakota, but it was closer for the Metigoshe Metis Community to buy staple groceries here than to go to Deloraine.
Prairie View Cemetery (1901-1910) A small cemetery once existed on this site.
Eunola School #3 (1898-1962) The doors of this rural schoolhouse have not stayed entirely closed with the end of classes.
Prairie Skills Building (1896 –Present) The Prairie Skills building has come through many incarnations since it was built to serve as a Catholic church.
Melita (1891-Present) The community of Manchester became Melita when it moved to be beside the railway.
Captain Large’s Blacksmith Shop (1903 - ) Captain Large built his steamship the “Empress of Ireland” in his Blacksmith shop in Coulter: South Antler Steelworks.
Max Lake Recreation (1898 – Present) Max Lake has long been a holiday destination spot.
First Oil Well (1949) The first oil well of the region was drilled here.
Quaker Church (1899 – 1948) The Chain Lakes Friends Meeting House operated here for 50 years before being moved to Dand and renamed the Dand United Church.
Quaker Church Cemetery (1899 – 1948) A small cemetery exists beside where the Chain Lakes Friends Meeting House once stood.
Butterfield (1880-1906) Butterfield served as a stopping place along the Boundary Commission Trail and later (1884) as the area's first post office. The building for the office was the home of Dr. Dann, a veterinarian.
All Saint's Cemetery (1888-1904) The All Saints Cemetery is home to at least 8 graves.
CNR Continues The Canadian National Railway continued east, linking the communities along the CNR Wakopa Subdivision with Greenway and eventually Winnipeg.
CPR Continues The Canadian Pacific Railway continues east to connect with Winnipeg via Morden.
Horton (1905-1960s) A small community grew around this CNR railway station.
Waskada Park Camping facilities are available in the Waskada Park.
CPR Continues West (1891 – Present) From Melita, the CPR railway continues west to Estecan, SK.
CNR Continues East (1898-1961) This branch of the CNR Railway came to southwest Manitoba from Winnipeg, via Carmen.
Melgund Cemetery Melgund Cemetery. Several headstones still exist on the site.
Melita School (1886-Present) The old building is still in Melita housing the Melita Museum.
Barber School (1886-1961)
Cavell School (1917-1957)
Chain Lakes School (1894-1917)
Grand Bend School (1890-1946)
Grande Clairière School (1889-1966)
Grand Pre School (1893-1919)
Lauder School (At least 1893-1973) Old school house became town hall. "New" building is still used as a post office and coffee shop; the "Lauder" Inn. (2011)
Maple Hill School (1914-1964)
West Hall School (1889-1958)
Arthur School (At least 1887-1957)
Belfry School #1 (1891-1896) In 1896 it moved to second location.
Belfry School #2 (1896-1963) Belfry moved from previous location to here in 1896. Though it closed its doors in 1963, the building still stands on the site today.
Bede School (1914-1965)
Brown School (1891-1958) In 1950 the "Old" School moved to Melita and a "New" one was erected on the same site.
Chesterfield School #1 (1887-1902)
Chesterfield School #2 (1902-1959) In 1902 Chesterfield moved from previous location to present location. The school was closed for a few years in the 30's.
Coulter School #1 (1915-1948) School moved in 1948.
Coulter School #2 (1948-1958) School moved from previous location to present location in 1948.
Coultervale School (1889-1968) Became the community centre and still stands as of 1983.
Dobbyn School (1899-1908)
Elva School #1 (1892-1898) In 1898 Elva School moved to the location of Elva School #2.
Elva School #2 (1898-1974) In 1898 Elva School moved from previous location to present location.
Peninsula School (1901-1960)
Sourisford School (At least 1899-1931)
Addington School (1887-1959) Addington School had three different school buildings all on the same site.
Berry Hill School (1897-1955)
Brownlo School (October 31,1917 - January 1,1918)
Medora School (1886-1975) In 1898 it moved to Medora. In 1914 the name changed from Burns to Medora.
Croydon School (1895-1963)
Hernefield School #2 (1918-1958) In 1918 Hernefield moved from previous location to present location.
Menota School (1888-1952)
Mimosa School (1888-1949) Name changed to Waskada.
Otter School #1 (At least 1886-1966) The second school was built just south of the first one.
Purple Hill School (At least 1887-1959) The first Purple Hill school burned down on June 28th, 1897. A new school built on the same site.
Sherwood School (1910-1958)
Tremblay School #1 (1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay School moved to present location.
Tremblay School #2 (1895-1946) In 1904 Tremblay moved from previous location to present location.
Waskada School (1910-Present) Previously the Moira School.
Waterloo School (1895-1967) Consolidated with Waskada in 1967.
Beverly School #1 (1906-1946) In 1907 Beverly School moved to present location. In 1946 it consolidated with Tilston.
Beverly School #2 (1906-1946) In 1907 Beverly School moved from previous location to present location. In 1946 it consolidated with Tilston.
Coates School (1901-1934)
Copley School #1 (April 1895-1955) Copley School moved to present location about 1931/1932.
Copley School #2 (April 1895-1955) Copley school moved from previous location to present location about 1931/1932.
Cuthbert School #1 (At least 1891- at least 1923) Cuthbert school moved to present location. Cuthbert school was also struck by lightning twice.
Cuthbert School #2 (At least 1891- at least 1923) Cuthbert school moved from previous location to present location.
Fulton School (1919-1927) Opened again in February 1933, and then closed again in December 1933.
Lyleton School (At least 1893-1971)
Pierson School (At least 1892-Present)
Roblin School (At least 1899-1930's) Roblin school opened again in the mid 1940's and closed on June 30,1947.
Wicks School (1909 - June 1953)
North Antler School #1 (1888-1951) North Antler School was closed from 1895-1897.
North Antler School #2 (1888-1951) Closed from 1895-1897. North Antler School moved from previous location to present location in about 1897/1898.
Bluevale School #1 (At least 1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved to present location.
Bluevale School #2 (1901-1967) In 1948 Bluevale School moved from previous location to present location.
Brownlea School (At least 1887-1966)
Desford (Horton) School (At least 1894/1895 - March 31st, 1966)
Dunallen School (April 1,1902-1956)
East Lynn School (1902-1966) Still there as of 1981.
Lake Max School (1904-1968)
Petersburg School (1894-1967) New school was built in 1957. In 2000 it was purchased by Glenn Buhler and made into a restaurant - Windy Willows, which is closed now. Still standing as of 2012.
Primrose School (About 1887-1968)
Rayfield School (About 1891-1937)
Richview School (1888-July 30th,1967)
Royal School (November 28th,1887 - June 28th,1968)
Wapaha School (At least 1894-1966) In 1966 Wapaha School consolidated with Turtle Mountain Division. Wapaha means Whitewater.
Wood Lake School (August 1893-1966)
Bayview School (At least 1886-1966)
Bidford School (At least 1887-1964)
Brock School (July 1894-1967)
Coxworth School (At least 1914-June,1964) 1966 consolidated with Deloraine.
Luther School (1900-1918) Consolidated into Dand.
Deloraine School (1884-Present) School was in operation at Old Deloraine for two years before it moved to present Deloraine.
Flossie School (1904-1966)
Grove School (May 23,1887 - 1921. Reopened from 1924-1966)
Kirkwood School #1 (At least 1893-1963) Kirkwood was closed from 1921-1935 then again from 1949-1952. In 1938 Kirkwood moved to the second school site.
Dunseith Trail (1920 – 1933) Rum-runners used the Dunseith Trail to smuggle illegal alcohol into North Dakota in the days of alcohol prohibition.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Napinka (1892) Work on a rail line past Deloraine was finally started, and headed to Napinka which displeased farmers in Melita.
Great Northern Railway (1905 – 1936) The Great Northern Railway covered the almost 70 miles between Brandon, Manitoba and St. John North Dakota.
CPR Lauder Branch (1912 – 1962) The Lauder Subdivision, also known as the “Blue Flea” Line. The Tracks were removed in 1975-6.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Boissevain The CPR reached Boissevain in 1885.
CPR-Pembina Branch to Deloraine The CPR reached Deloraine in 1886.
CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Adelpha The 51.8 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Greenway to Adelpha was completed in 1905.
CNR-Wakopa Subdivision to Deloraine The 28 miles of the Canadian National Railway from Adelpha to Deloraine was completed in 1914.
CPR-Estevan Branch to Hartney The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Hartney from Brandon in 1890.
CPR-Estevan Branch to Saskatchewan The Estevan Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Melita in 1891 and continued to the Saskatchewan border.
CPR-Lyleton Branch to Waskada After much hard work, locals in Waskada convinced the CPR to build a rail line southwest of Deloraine. It reached as far as Waskada in 1900.
CPR-Lyleton Branch to Lyleton Lyleton received service by rail in 1902, two years after the railway reached Waskada.
CNR-Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Hartney (1900-1961) The Canadian National Railway was built past "Trackend" at Argue to reach Hartney from the east in 1900.
CNR Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Virden (1905) The CNR built a bridge over the Souris River and reached Grande Clairière in the fall and Virden by Christmas.
CNR Hartney-Carmen-Winnipeg Branch to Argue (1898 – 1961) The CNR was built as far as Argue in 1898. Argue was known as “Trackend” while the future course of the line was debated. Delegations from Deloraine, Waskada, Melita and Hartney lobbied for the route to go to their respective towns.
CPR Lauder-Alida Branch (1905-1976) The CPR built west of Lauder as far as Broomhill then continued to Tilston the following summer. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
CPR Lauder-Alida Branch to Tilston (1907-1976) The CPR from Lauder continued to Tilston in 1907. A flood in the spring of 1976 took out the bridge at Bernice along with some of the track, which brought an end to the use of this Branch.
CPR Lauder-Alida Branch to Alida (19011-1976) The CPR continued to Alida, SK in 1911.